DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_kyle View Post
    wirerat, you from alabama whitewater? whatup bro
    What's up! Small world huh? Are you recent Hammock convert?
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz ripstop (channel end)
    Tarp
    DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images
    "I have a 1.1 oz sil hammock now with a handful of nights in it (5-6) and haven't had any issues."

Jeff, I'm curious why you used sil for your hammock. I thought breathable materials were preferred...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skistrees View Post
    "I have a 1.1 oz sil hammock now with a handful of nights in it (5-6) and haven't had any issues."

Jeff, I'm curious why you used sil for your hammock. I thought breathable materials were preferred...
    That's the main reason I did it, actually...nearly everyone I've heard say that non-breathable hammocks are bad had never been in one and just accepted the conventional wisdom. I did that myself, and even posted the same advice. I thought my other experience with non-breathable material under me (CCF pads) would apply to non-breathable hammocks. But it doesn't apply directly.

A few years ago I did a BGT test of the Crazy Creek hammock, which is coated nylon and not breathable...and I never had a condensation problem with it. This was in a pretty cool area so I may have sweated too much in a hot area, but it worked well for where I was.

Then, I've had great success and comfort with the Exped Downmat 7...an inflatable pad which is obviously not breathable. I sweat on CCF but not on the Downmat for some reason.

Also, several folks have made cuben hammocks and I haven't read any complaints about condensation or sweating. Some say they're not as comfortable, but moisture management usually isn't the reason.

Taking those three data points, I realized that I should re-examine my own assumptions about breathability...and I made the sil hammock.

I can tell a difference between it and breathable hammocks...it's a bit warmer when I'm just lounging. Sometimes I get a feeling that I don't get in a breathable hammock...it's not wet, moist or sweaty, but if I move I can feel that there was a little moisture there. Not an uncomfortable feeling at all...just a different feeling.

I've had it into the 20s while sleeping in a ThermaWrap jacket and using a Warbonnet Yeti. I was a bit more chilly than I expected that night, but we did have a good wind blowing most of the night and I didn't hang my tarp. The sil obviously does a better job at blocking the wind from coming into the hammock, which would help...but the sil hammock obviously doesn't block the UQ from the wind, so it's hard to draw a conclusion about it. I wish I could have been able to tell if being chilly was the result of increased moisture due to the sil, but I just couldn't tell.

Keep in mind these results were in Colorado, which is much more dry than most other places where people use hammocks...the humidity in the Smokies might make it a terrible idea. But so far it's working well for me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Awesome, Jeff. Thanks for posting your reversal on thinking. I had just assumed the same as well. I run naturally hot though, so I bet I wouldn't like the feel of sil in hot weather, but it might be beneficial in colder weather...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz ripstop (channel end)
    Tarp
    DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images
    Jeff,
    Interesting...
    Question assumptions, expand knowledge.