Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Molly Mac Gear IX Hammock Sock

MollyMacGear web site is updated with information on the Molly Mac Gear Box and the IX Hammock Sock.

The IX Hammock Sock was first described in this thread.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Just what I was looking for... so conceivably... using the IX sock, you could use your 3 season quilts in the winter? or a 4 season UQ and a 3 season TQ?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Just what I was looking for... so conceivably... using the IX sock, you could use your 3 season quilts in the winter? or a 4 season UQ and a 3 season TQ?
    Yes!

I used mine with the PeaPod in 13*F and had to ventilate the PPod. I used it at Mt Rogers in 8*F with four layers of IX and was toasty.

It is amazing how much warmth the top provides.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Molly Mac Gear IX

I've watched a couple of your videos the last few days. I have just a few questions about the IX 3/4 UQ. I've worked hard to get my ENO DBN just right, so I don't want to end up sleeping like a Taco. I've seen the ENO Ember, and I'm just not convinced about the fit. What type of cut is the 3/4 IX UQ? Is it a differential cut? Does it also have draw cords at each end in addition to the long axis? Would it be possible to get a custom made UQ, I'm thinking about a outside layer of ripstop followed by Ix then polyester poncho liner, and then a final layer of ix? Good job on your video presentations. I've read a lot of your posts, it's good to put a face to a name. Thanks.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    What type of cut is the 3/4 IX UQ? Is it a differential cut?
    Yes! That guarantees a tiny separation of the layers, which is necessary with IX.

BTW, the bottom of the IX Hammock Sock is differential cut as well.

Does it also have draw cords at each end in addition to the long axis?
    There are no drawcords at all! The IX UQs are heavily darted, so they have the right shape from the beginning. At each end are long loops of shock cord tied to the corners. All you have to do is adjust the tension to get rid of any gaps.

Would it be possible to get a custom made UQ, I'm thinking about a outside layer of ripstop followed by Ix then polyester poncho liner, and then a final layer of ix?
    I'll provide a custom cover for the existing IX UQs, but I am not set up to add insulation other than IX.

What you have described sounds like an AHE KAQ with the IX option. Check them out!

Good job on your video presentations. I've read a lot of your posts, it's good to put a face to a name. Thanks.
    You are entyrely welcome! Thank you!

I've said recently that the Baby Orca, the 3/4 IX UQ with black breathable nylon outer cover, is my favorite... but I am sure that when the snow flies, the IX Hammock Sock once again will be my favorite. I used it a lot last winter. I'm looking forward to using it in conjunction with the Baby Orca, as well as my Vintage Speer Snugfit and Speer IIIA Hammock!

It's funny... I never use a bugnet in the summer, but I always use a sock in the winter!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    will the hammock sock work with a WBBB, or is there a custom model for the WBBB?

Also, using the sock would you also need an IX UQ or would you just use some other form of insulation (old sleeping bag, etc.)...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texashanger View Post
    will the hammock sock work with a WBBB, or is there a custom model for the WBBB?
    I've figured out how to make UQs that fit WB hammocks, and work for everyone else as well! The IX Hammock Sock I just made is for a Traveler, and will work for all gathered end hammocks... unless you want to use the Blackbird tie outs.

When I made the IX Hammock Sock for the Traveler, I also made another one for the Blackbird that allows you to use the tie outs. It uses Paul Gibson's BBO for a top. I did not want to make a one piece sock, and then put slits in it for the tie-outs, which would not allow the SEEP to close completely. So, I made it for use with the BBO top.

So, Yes! I have an IX Hammock Sock for the WBBB, and it uses the BBO for a top!

Quote Originally Posted by texashanger View Post
    Also, using the sock would you also need an IX UQ or would you just use some other form of insulation (old sleeping bag, etc.)...
    Depends on two things:
    1) how many layers of IX are in the sock, and
    2) how cold is it!

An IX Hammock Sock with one layer of IX (plus a Torso Heater, which I put in everything) may get you to freezing by itself. Three layers of IX in the Sock should get you to zeroF.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    When I made the IX Hammock Sock for the Traveler, I also made another one for the Blackbird that allows you to use the tie outs. It uses Paul Gibson's BBO for a top. I did not want to make a one piece sock, and then put slits in it for the tie-outs, which would not allow the SEEP to close completely. So, I made it for use with the BBO top.

So, Yes! I have an IX Hammock Sock for the WBBB, and it uses the BBO for a top!
    Umm... Im trying to picture this... The WBBB IX hammock sock is basically the BBO and IX UQ combined- sewed together or two seperate pieces?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The WBBB IX hammock sock is basically the BBO and IX UQ combined-
    No, it is the BBO plus the IX Hammock Sock without the top. The lower portion of the MMG IX Hammock Sock is made like a dory, with a bottom and two sides, radically shaped so they come together at the ends.

The IX UQ is one piece heavily darted. There are no darts in the IX Hammock Sock, but the bottom has layers that are differentially cut, and a Torso Heater inside.

...sewed together or two seperate pieces?
    No need to sew them together. They are separate pieces that overlap. The IX Hammock Sock goes right up to the BB netting.

Clear as mud?
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    clear as mucky mud! Thanks Mac

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast