hennessy,diy
    Tarp
    hex,diy
    Insulation
    uq,pad
    Suspension
    diy whoppie, tree

hammock material

fairly new to the forum so hi all!!! anyway, been making my own gear for some time and yesterday i found myself with a unique problem... my wife(who is constantly on the lookout for material) comes home with 30 yds of rather heavy nylon,(not sure on the weight yet), problem is it has an american flag design,(assuming its to make flags) anyway would love your opinion, is it morally, or perhaps patrioticaly wrong to use this as a hammock material? would make some strong gear, but the last thing i want is to offend... comments, feedback sure welcome.
    To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
    Helen Keller

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skoalbandit30 View Post
    is it morally, or perhaps patrioticaly wrong to use this as a hammock material?
    Flags are designed as political symbols. But you don't have a flag...you have hammock making material, with a theme. If you don't 'bring' more innuendo to it than that, you'll enjoy the outcome.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    My initial thought is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using it to make hanging gear. Heck walk in to almost any fabric store and you will find many different bolts of fabric that have the US Flag all over them. Granted most of the fabric is not suitable for hammock gear. But that is not my point. It is perfectly acceptable to make clothing and other items that have the stars and stripes or whole flag all over them. Your material should be no different. Although a picture of the material would help us to see what you are referring to.
    Terry

Hammock
    hennessy,diy
    Tarp
    hex,diy
    Insulation
    uq,pad
    Suspension
    diy whoppie, tree
    havnt got a pic yet, but its 60" wide nylon saying around 2.5 oz with repeating flag design, five yard bolts, each bolt 2 flags. hope this helps.
    To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
    Helen Keller

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by skoalbandit30 View Post
    havnt got a pic yet, but its 60" wide nylon saying around 2.5 oz with repeating flag design, five yard bolts, each bolt 2 flags. hope this helps.
    After reading your discription my opinion still stands and I agree with AngrySparrow "you have hammock making material, with a theme. If you don't 'bring' more innuendo to it than that, you'll enjoy the outcome". Use the material to make whatever you have in mind. Also besure to thank your wife for being thoughtfull enough to buy the fabric for you. Heck think of it as a Patriotic hammok or tarp if that helps to ease your mind.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Two flags on a piece 60" x 5 yards? So each flag is 60" x 90"? If your hammock body is 60" x 120" at first glance it might look you took an actual flag and turned it into a hammock. Cut creatively.

Images
    I think that if it made from an actual flag, that is wrong. Given your discription, I do not think that would be offensive, at least patriotically, esthetically...maybe?
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    make 'em into flags and donate to the local school? trade them for more fabric?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It _is_ illegal to use a flag for any other purpose than its patriotic symbolism. But if your fabric is printed only on one side, it is not a flag, it is fabric printed with a flag motif. Depending on your area of residence, your age and the age of those around you it might be a problem for some people. I'm not speaking for all here by any means, but I have met vets (usually of WWII vintage) for whom the flag design is sacred and would be offended by its use in any other capacity. Of course these are the same folks who deck their second floor balconies with flag bunting without a second thought. Who knows what someone might get into their head.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    hennessy,diy
    Tarp
    hex,diy
    Insulation
    uq,pad
    Suspension
    diy whoppie, tree
    thnx, wv, trying to simplify things, actually 2.5 flags on bolt starting with stipes and repeating.. ramblinrev, printed only on one side, reverse light grayish color,would seem like a waste of good material not to use it, even thought about trying to dye a piece and see the results.. not sure how this would work never tried to dye nylon.
    Helen Keller

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast