Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Sproiiiinnnng!

SPROIIIINNNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock suspensions are NOT supposed to make such noises.

I recently converted my HH Explorer Dlx to web/strap suspension using a long Chain Link and buckles from AHE. This week I received a pair of Dutch Clips from JRB. I was able to get away to my local State Forest to fiddle with the conversion for several hours (interspersed with hammock loafing).

This was my first use of the Dutch Clips, having used carabiners up till now. I attached the foot end to an 8" tree and the head end to a 24" tree. I set the hammock and settled in. About 5 minutes later, I heard and felt "Sproooiiinnnggg!" and maybe thre or four minute later it happened again.

While it felt as though I dropped a minute amount, when I exited and checked the system I could find no obvious slippage.

Hmmmm.

Back into the hammock, and the scenario repeated itself. This time I cracked open the HH end covers (I have drawstrings in them rather than ty-wraps) and looked for problems. I was not happy with how the Amsteel was tightening around the gather, so I re-wrapped it and added another turn around the fabric.

Back into the hammock, and "Sprooiing!". But now I was sure that the only sounds came from the head end. Just for experimentation I replaced the Dutch Clips with 'biners, and this time I heard similar, but less worrisome sounds. For another test I replaced the biners with JRB tri-glide buckles. This time there was next to no noise.

My hypothesis is that the NRS popypro web that I am using is thinner than AHE web, and has more stretch. The wrap around the 24" tree allowed the web to stretch sufficiently to move across the DC, and that is what caused the Sproooiiinnnngg. The wrap of web around the 8" dia tree had little stretch in the system, so it did not contribute much to the problem.

I think I need to order some thicker web from AHE. All this "SPROINGING" is too reminiscent of Don Martin and Mad Magazine!

Jim

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    i had this happen when i re-whipped my hammock, it seemed to me that it was just all the folds getting balanced. After the first hang it never happened again. i wouldnt worry about it unless it has that sort of 'catastrophic' sound of failure.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Polypropylene doesn't stretch much. If it does, it doesn't recover. At some early point when it does stretch, it 'walks' with a characteristic narrowing... then it breaks.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH BPUL
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

That Happend to Me

I had that happen to me a while back. I was using the stock suspension on a Hennessey ULBP. "Sproing" I dropped half an inch. A few minutes later it happened again.

I was so exhausted I just laid there and thought to my self "if I lay still I can probably sleep a little longer before I fall to the ground"

I woke the next morning still off the ground and I could not find anything wrong when I examined the suspension, tree huggers or knots.

Still don't have a clue. (About so many things)

- Tikki-Tavi
    "Run & find out" - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    I've heard the same after replacing the suspension. Call it "break-in" noise as opposed to "break'n noise".

I wouldn't have thought that the Dutch Clips could make a noise.

What you don't want to hear is: "sprOING- crACK!" It negates all the spine- friendly benefits of the hammock in the first place.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I always hear noises when I first put a new suspension on a hammock. I figure its everything settling in. Let us know if and when you figure it out.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    Honestly, when I saw the thread title I thought this might be about dating with hammocks…Wink wink......

I am a sick puppy but I am seeking help…….
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    jsaults--very interesting story, esp as I was considering DCs and definitely want to switch out my HH to a strap/web based system. Your hypothesis about the tree strap going buggy near the DC is plausible. I own quite a few lightweight climbing carabiners (.9 ounces each) and at a cost of about $7 each, cheaper than Dutch Clips--or about the same. I don't know that there's much advantage to a DC over a 'biner in the strap around tree scenario, do you (having done both now)?

Have you ordered from www.strapworks.com I have about 50 feet of 1 inch strap coming, and they'll even stitch loops in it and everything. Check out the website.

I continue to follow your HH stories, and if you don't completely fall on your tailbone, breaking bones or losing sensation in your feet, I will try your suspension system on my HH. Thanks for guinea-pigging for me. :-)

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Exclamation Sproing!

I replaced my HH suspension with whoopies and also experienced some disconcerting noises on my first hang. No problems since "settling in" however and no stretch was noted. May be due to the double hole wrap that HH has which causes more tightening when weighted. It was a little nerve racking that first night however. Hope this eases your fears of falling in the middle of the night...Bush

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am beginning to suspect

that the noises were due to the tightening of the wraps as several of you have suggested.

BushMedic: Were your HH's sounds almost metallic? If so, we may have solved the mystery.

Jim

• + New Posts