Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images

First overnight hang

Sorry for the crappy photos, my wife took the camera for the weekend. Had to use my phone camera.

On with the show!

My kayak buddy and I both decided to do a safe trip for our first overnight in our hammocks. We thought it would be a fine idea to do a small trip on the river not that far from where we lived.

Referencing the following map with the links on the left....

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=39....CCD383B86!1441

After Kayak Buddy (KB now) got off work on Saturday we hit the water around 8pm. We start at a place called "The Narrows". The link on the left named "LMR - 72.2 - Narrows Reserve Canoe Launch" shows the spot. We paddle for a short time (about 5 miles, getting dark you know) and arrive at Bellbrook Canoe Rental who has graciously allowed up to stay there overnight. See the link named "LMR - 67.5 - Bellbrook Canoe Rental".

KB had an ENO Doublenest hammock and an ENO Guardian Bugnet. I had a Warbonnet Traveler hammock and an ENO Guardian Bugnet. KB had hung overnight in his backyard a few times with his Doublenest and I've only been in my Traveler while watching a baseball tournament from beyond he outfield fence.

Last night I didn't really need a bugnet but I thought I'd set it up to give it a go. Here is the finished setup:

Notice we are using the posts of a shelter. We both had cheap tarps so when presented with the opportunity to use the shelter we decided to hop on it.

When going through the bug net I noticed that the vertical zipper would certainly work but I think I'm going to order a horizontal one very soon. I got up twice during the night and noticed that if I didn't have the zipper in a convenient place it was a bit awkward.

Once through the bug net it only took me a few seconds to find a very nice level lay. Ahh, very nice.

After a few brats over open fire, and a few beverages I had brought with me we hit the hay for the night. After a few minutes I got up and stuffed some extra clothes in the hammock's stuff sack for a pillow. Huge difference for me. After that I found I was very comfortable with no knee pressure that I've heard from some here when they can't find a level lay.

The next morning KB woke me up (curse him!) and I still felt comfortable.

I had taken a CCF with me but didn't use it. I used a sleeping bag but only had it over top of me with my feet in the "foot box". That worked out great.

I look forward to my next overnight hang. I'm still going to enjoy my normal bed but I'll really enjoy the overnights in my hammock.
    Last edited by WonderMonkey; 08-02-2010 at 09:39.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    sounds great. your lucky its still warm enough where you are to sleep with nothing underneath you.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    I'm looking forward to sleeping in the cold. I'm happy that I have time to prepare and get some proper gear for it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Ya got to do a little paddling and spend a night in your hammock. Life is good!
    Terry

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    It was VERY good!

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think paddling and hammocking would be a lot of fun.. Been looking at the Native, Crucial 12. Love the water...
    Utilizing the shelterhouse is a good idea especially with the picnic table right there. Any other campers near?
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmanob View Post
    I think paddling and hammocking would be a lot of fun.. Been looking at the Native, Crucial 12. Love the water...
    Utilizing the shelterhouse is a good idea especially with the picnic table right there. Any other campers near?
    This was a place easy to drive up to. There was a large shelter about 50 yards away and there was a group of people in their 20's that already had their tents up and a good fire going. They had some music going so we got to enjoy that. They turned it off at a fair hour so we then got to enjoy the sounds of nature and the river going by just 10 yards away.

Paddling and camping is fun. I've done it using a tent a few times. The challenge is making sure you have a kayak that has adequate room for whatever gear you feel you need to take with you. You can really feel just a few pounds extra while paddling. You scrape bottom more often and you are pushing more boat through the water (boat sits lower).

• + New Posts