Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Sounds like you got it figured out, but just recounting an experience one of us HFers had, I can't remember who it was; he hung from a 3" nylon tow strap to see if it stretched, even though his weight was only a small fraction of the rated strength, and sure enough, it stretched considerably overnight.

Stay safe in them fires, we appreciate y'all's hard work.
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Teletrekker,

I have used CMC products in the past and they are very high quality. I was part of a technical rescue team and we trusted our lives with their products on a regular basis. From my experience the particular product your asking about does not have very much stretch at all (however, I haven't suspended a hammock from it all night). We have applied many loads to that particular type of webbing and it wears out from abrasions long before it ever stretches out to an unusable length. Also, the stress from you getting in/out and moving around in your hammock is no where near the 'shock load'. I think this would be a viable option for hanging. I hope this helps a little bit.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Acer- Thanks for the kind words. I still can't believe they pay me to do the job. It's my pleasure.

dmrichm- Hey brother. A fellow tech. ops. monkey hey? We also use many CMC products and have always found them to be of superior quality. My original question was more about the design of the strap (end loops with 1" loops throughout) and if anyone used a similar setup. I did however enjoy the debate on the stretchyness of a 1" strap designed for rescue ops. I strongly agree that the forces applied to the suspension system of a hammock are nil compared to that of a shock loaded system in rescue ops.

I may have to be the lab rat on this one. The only factor for me on this one is the cost. If I can find a similar polyester strap with a similar rating for less cake I may go that route. I'm not yet confident in my sewing skills to make one. I'll let ya'll know how I make out.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teletrekker View Post
    If I can find a similar polyester strap with a similar rating for less cake I may go that route.
    AHE sells polyester straps custom sewn to order.

I don't see the multiple loops along the webbing length to be of any real value for hammock hanging. You can cinch webbing tight around a tree with a loop on the ends only, by simply pulling one end through the other.

An adjustable hammock suspension made from cording like Amsteel (whoopies or UCR's) is less bulky and infinitely adjustable along its length. And there are several ways to attach such a sling to the polyester tree straps.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Sparrow-
    As mentioned above, I do all my fine adjustments with the figure 9. Thus if I were going to hang between 2 trees that were say 12'-15' apart, two 6' lengths of webbing with only end loops would not allow me to clip the figure 9 into the end loop and still have room to hang the hammock. Currently, I simply tie a butterfly or inline figure 8 in the webbing at the desired length. This however is more tedious than I'd like and I'd rather not add knots to the system if I can help it for obvious reasons. The 66" multiloop strap would allow me to cinch the strap around the tree and use the loops to clip my fig 9 into at the most advantageous spot.

I hope this isn't too confusing to picture. Let me know if I can clarify further.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I hope this isn't too confusing to picture. Let me know if I can clarify further.
    It's not confusing at all, and works just like the ENO SlapStraps.

The drawback is that you're limited to where the sewn loops exist on the strap, for adjustability. I was just saying that most of the other suspension systems aren't limited in that way, and allow more fine-grained adjustment.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Do you find the Figure 9's wearing your cordage at all? What size figure 9 are you using? There was one thread that caused quite a bit of discussion a while back. The thread discussed the hanging techniques presented in a video and many members criticized the use of figure 9's. I myself posted that I thought the figure 9's were not ideal due to the weight rating and possible wear on the rope. What's been your experience?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Hey Sparrow-
    I looked at the ENO slap straps and I guess I'm missing something.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap.html

From the pics on the web, they look to be similar to the CMC straps but with less loops. Is there a mode of adjustment that I'm missing? From what I can tell, the strap has one end loop and 6 loops sewn into the remainder of the strap.
    Last edited by teletrekker; 08-02-2010 at 10:00. Reason: fix link

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    From the pics on the web, they look to be similar to the CMC straps but with less loops.
    That's exactly right. I wasn't suggesting those as an alterative...I was saying the CMC straps would work just like those.

The drawback is that you can only 'adjust' your hang where an existing loop allows you to clip on. Many of us find that to be too limiting, hence the other suspension designs that allow more adjustment.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That's exactly right. I wasn't suggesting those as an alterative...I was saying the CMC straps would work just like those.

The drawback is that you can only 'adjust' your hang where an existing loop allows you to clip on. Many of us find that to be too limiting, hence the other suspension designs that allow more adjustment.
    I think teletrecker clips a figure 9 to a loop and uses it for fine adjustment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast