Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles

CMC Tree Hugger

I've been using 3' lengths of 1" tubular webbing with loops on each end as tree huggers. Many times the 3' length doesn't work out perfectly (clipping my figure 9 into both loops or feeding one end of the webbing through the other loop) and I end up tying a butterfly or inline figure 8 in the webbing at the desired length. Not too much of a hassle but not super efficient.

Also, I'm pretty sure the webbing stretches considerably over the course of the night. My rear end somtimes ends up a couple feet lower than where it began. I'm pretty sure the webbing is needle loom nylon. We've got buckets of it at the fire station. It was donated by the local armory but we don't use it as life safety webbing.

I've been considering these from CMC Rescue.

http://www.cmcrescue.com/product.php...de=0&pid=20398

Anyone use these or a similar product? They are certainly strong enough and look like they would offer numerous options for wrapping around trees of different diameters. Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Doesn't say specifically what they are made of. If they are nylon they may stretch. What I do not like about them is the set levels of adjustment. Granted they are closer than others I have seen but I'm a fiddler with my gear and often make small adjustments to things so I like to have that option. They also look a little bit bulkier than a comparable length of simple polyester. JMO though YMMV.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Thanks for the input odds. These straps are designed to be an anchor for rescue operations. They are designed to stretch some, specifically if there is a shock load to the system, but I would hesitate to call them stretchy.

I do all of my adjustment with the figure 9's. I would use these straps by feeding the tag end through the loop and cinch the strap to the tree. Then use the loops to clip in my figure 9 at the appropriate length.

Your probably right about the bulk. I think I would get the 3' lenghts. I was just curious if anyone used a similar system.

What length straps do you all carry around?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Average length for most folks is 6 foot straps. 95% off all that we sell.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Almost all tubular webbing is nylon, especially stuff made for climbing and rescue...it stretches b/c it's designed to absorb shock.

Just curious...why are you interested in that particular webbing instead of getting the proven stuff from pgibson, Strapworks, Speer hammocks, etc.?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Thanks for the length P.

Jeff-Just a reflex I guess. When I think webbing I think to look at one of the suppliers we use for rescue gear. I haven't looked into the suppliers you mentioned. What are the advantages? Non-tubular, polyester, ...?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most rescue gear is made from nylon b/c it's designed to absorb the shock by stretching. For hammocks, stretching means you'll end up on or near the ground.

So for webbing, we use polyester or polypropylene. It doesn't stretch. (More accurately, it's low-memory-stretch whereas nylon is high-memory-stretch.)

Tubular webbing just weighs more and is bulkier...especially when you don't need that much strength. A single layer (i.e. non-tubular) of 1" polyester webbing is generally strong enough...just make sure that what you buy is rated (strength tested) b/c there are several types of polyester webbing, and you want the safe stuff.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Jeff-
    Thanks for your replies. I hope this doesn't sound condescending but I am well aware of why rescue gear stretches. This anchor is designed to support a litter with patient, gear and an attendant/rescuer (note: not the anchor I would choose if I were on the line but it is designed for this purpose among many others). This load could easily push 600lbs. The strap, along with the rest of the system, would not be considered shock loaded unless the load was dropped for some reason and recaptured.

The load on the suspension of a hammock is even while lying still. I guess the question is: are the forces applied to the suspension system when one enters the hammock and/or moves around in the hammock equivalent to the forces needed to shock load a system in a rescue operation?

I know it would be easier to use straps that are proven durable for hammocking but you've peaked my curiosity. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.
    I guess the question

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    No worries - I hope I didn't sound condescending either...hard to tell the level of knowledge over the internet!

As long as you're not using the hammock as a trampoline, it's not like the dynamic loading of a drop/fall shock. Polyester is low-memory stretch, but it still stretches...at least enough to absorb the normal entry/exit and a little bouncing around in the hammock, just not enough to leave you on the ground in the morning.

I think the tubular nylon would work, but the polyester would work better. JMHO!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    I think you're right on both points: the dynamic loading is not the same and polyester would work better. Thanks for humoring me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast