Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Got my Claytor but disappointed

My Claytor Jungle hammock arrived today. I paid $20 extra for the quick shipping because I was going to use it with my son on a backpacking trip this weekend. I quickly took down the Clark and proceeded to hang the Claytor. I notice three minor but disturbing items. (1) a small tear in the netting, (2) a small frayed loop sticking out of the support web, and (3) two small holes in the outside camo material near the label (looks as if someone was going to attach a label at that spot and decided to move the label over a few inches).

I hung it anyway and tried it out with the bug net unzipped. It is much roomier than the Clark, but does not appear to be as well constructed nor designed. It is not as comfortable for me as the Clark even though it is larger – the material seems to stretch more than the Clark. In my opinion, there is definitely a $170 difference between the Claytor Jungle Hammock and the Clark Jungle NA. I think the Clark Hammocks are worth the additional $170.

Needless to say I was disappointed in the quality control and even more disappointed because I will be returning the Claytor and canceling my trip for this weekend. Tom Claytor has a return policy so I'm sure I'll get my money back, but the downside is the cost of shipping to me and back to Claytor, and even more importantly, the disruption of my trip.

I already ordered a second Clark and it will be here early next week to be used on the following weekend.

Perhaps if I had not started my hammock experience with the Clark I might have been satisfied with the Claytor. But I'm not, so back it goes.

One other thing - I have no problem using email and ordering over the internet, in fact I prefer it that way. But it is nice to have an 800 number to call to resolve any issues or problems. I realize that selling hammocks is not Tom Claytor's full time job and that is probably one of the reasons his hammocks are less expensive that some others. Unfortunately, in this case it just didn't work out for me. I'd still refer people to him as the purchase and delivery went smoothly given that he was in Siberia when I made the purchase.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Bummer man, but thanks for the heads-ups. It's never fun when you're disappointed.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Surprised

I was surprised that you went for the clayton after all that you said about the clark. Mine is suppose to be here today have slapstraps up and holding my other hammock but will be quickly taken down to put new clark up.

I hope your other clark is as good as you last one.
    thanks for all the advice NOGODS

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    In my opinion, there is definitely a $170 difference between the Claytor Jungle Hammock and the Clark Jungle NA. I think the Clark Hammocks are worth the additional $170.
    I agree, just wish the Clark had a pad pocket. It really is only about $50 difference if you go with the Clark UL which is closer feature wise to the Claytor JH.
    Last edited by hangnout; 10-09-2007 at 14:38.

Images
    Actually, I wasn't all that impressed with the pad pocket. It is nothing but a piece of material sewn inside the hammock on three sides. You could probably glue or velcro one into a Clark, although if you are my size reducing the room in the Clark is probably not a good idea.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I guess it's true...one man's junk is another's treasure. My daughter has a Clark which I have tried and I prefer the Claytor. Mine was flawless and I think the quality is great. I am 6'2" and am much more comfortable in the Claytor. I found there to be stress points on the zipper when zipping the Clark which made it difficult to close....although I did like the ability to completely unzip it. I do like the pockets on the Clark but like the double bottom on the Claytor even better. My daughter disliked the Clark tarp so much that she replaced it with a Neo 9 by 9. I personally think the Clark is overpriced. Four of my close friends have also bought Claytor hammocks without a problem. We all think they are a high quality piece of gear. I'm sorry you had a problem with yours....it's not the norm.

Miguel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I guess it's true...one man's junk is another's treasure. My daughter has a Clark which I have tried and I prefer the Claytor. Mine was flawless and I think the quality is great. I am 6'2" and am much more comfortable in the Claytor. I found there to be stress points on the zipper when zipping the Clark which made it difficult to close....although I did like the ability to completely unzip it. I do like the pockets on the Clark but like the double bottom on the Claytor even better. My daughter disliked the Clark tarp so much that she replaced it with a Neo 9 by 9. I personally think the Clark is overpriced. Four of my close friends have also bought Claytor hammocks without a problem. We all think they are a high quality piece of gear. I'm sorry you had a problem with yours....it's not the norm.

Miguel
    You are correct Miguel - a person should not make a decision based on one other person's opinion or experience. I've read post from lots of people like you who are very satisfied with their Claytor. Maybe my negative view of the comfort level was already shaded by my discovery of the minor flaws before i climed into the Claytor.

I remember reading on this forum a post by a Clark owner who insited it was impossible to stuff the hammock into the atttached compression sack. I found it rather easy. I also have read post by people who had other problems with a Clark that I have not experienced (except I wish it were a touch longer!).

Tom Claytor apparently makes a very fine hammock for people that are suited to it, just as Clark makes a fine hammock for people suited to the Clark. That diversity in the marketplace is beneficial for us as consumers because it will require hammock manufactures to offer excellent service and high quality products.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Right on! The important thing to remember is that a day without hammocking is like a day in a tent. Enjoy your hammock of choice.

Miguel

Images
    I just got an email from Tom Claytor apologizing for the minor flaws and offering to send another hammock and telling me to keep the other one too. Unfortunately I already ordered another hammock from Clark, but as I suspected, Claytor's service is superb (and so is Clark's).
    Last edited by nogods; 10-09-2007 at 20:39.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I just got an email from Tom Claytor apologizing for the minor flaws and offering to send another hammock and telling me to keep the other one too. Unfortunately I already ordered another hammock from Clark, but as I suspected, Claytor's service is superb (and so is Clark's).
    tom claytor stands behind his products and service he wants his customer to be happy neo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast