Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Sounds like you made a DIY Frog Sac.
    Yeah - somewhat similar - except the frog sac has more fetures, weighs less, and packs smaller (and appears to be cat-proof according to the pictures.) Of course mine only cost $20.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    Are all of you getting in a top loading hammocks? The ones I have are all top loading and the method I use is as follows:

Hang headlamp on ridge line, and turn on so not totally in the dark.

1) position pad in hammock.

2) lay sleeping bag on pad with zipper at the top and unzipped almost to the foot box

3) spread the bag open and have the hood positioned where my head will end up at when laying down.

4) holding near edge of sleeping bag against top near edge of hammock, sit in hammock, swing feet in and lay down.

5) a few small wiggles and pulls and there is my sweet spot.

6) zip bug net shut, zip bag as closed as I need to for warmth. ( most times just tuck feet in foot box and leave unzipped and thats good till about 40 F. Any lower and zip it up higher )

7) get out book and read for a bit. Head lamp on ridgeline works great and batteries last for hours.

8) put book in ridgline pocket, hang glasses on ridge line, turn out lite and the rain falling on the tarp lulls me to sleep.

Has been a very rainy summer and fall here.

The key to that system is top loading and turning the sleeping bag so the zipper is centered on the top. And that said this self proclaimed know it all, is the best method. OK I do digress.
    I usually use the bag as a top quilt with a partially zipped foot box but when I need full coverage your system is spot on. And yes, zipper on top is the key ingredient. Also, it seems the more I hang the more I'm able to finagle things in my hammock.

Miguel

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

getting in

well that is what I may have been doing wrong is not laying zipper up I had it on the side the first night second night i put it on outside hammock first and then got in that worked good but when you get out to pea twice a night this get's old real quick.

thinking about useing a gatorade bottle. that way once im in im in for the night.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    well that is what I may have been doing wrong is not laying zipper up I had it on the side the first night second night i put it on outside hammock first and then got in that worked good but when you get out to pea twice a night this get's old real quick.

thinking about useing a gatorade bottle. that way once im in im in for the night.
    I for whatever reason am a three pee a nite kinda guy and the zipper to the top with the head lite hanging on the ridge line so I can see for a quick "re-arrange"works the best I have found. Somehow I just can't bring myself to using the gator aid bottle. Mabe if the temp was a lot lower than we normaly get here in the winter it would be a lot more apealing.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    But think of the consequences of a mishap!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Sorry but that is my screw up I left the cap lock on. (AND THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DO SUCH A THING.)
    WELL IT DID IT IN THE OTHER POST MAYBE IT DOES NOT DO IT IN A REPLY
    I am forever hitting cap lock by accident, and discovering it after several sentences. Truly irritating. Oh well, never had a typing lesson. Raised before the days of computer keyboards.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    But think of the consequences of a mishap!!!!
    That's why I dont do it. I dont want a lemon-lime JRB underquilt.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Ok so I must be the odd one here. I have a HH explorer D. With my DIY underquilt and a cheap 20 degree bag I sleep just fine down to at least 40 (it hasn't gotten colder to try it out lower.) My bag is a left zip mummy bag, that is a huge improvement over the first bag I tried which was a right zip and a rectangular one. Too much bag, zipper on the wrong side. I place it in the hammock in a diagonal position and then sit down on it, pivot my feet in place, squirm a bit and then pull and tug the sides a bit and zip up. It took me 4 or 5 nights towork out the moving around thing, but a bag works fine for me. It wasn't intuitive the first time but experience helps. Even getting out to relieve myself is coming quicker with practice.
    Roads go ever ever on, under cloud and under star; Yet feet that wandering have gone, turn at last to home afar. Bilbo Baggins

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aerorider65 View Post
    Ok so I must be the odd one here. I have a HH explorer D. With my DIY underquilt and a cheap 20 degree bag I sleep just fine down to at least 40 (it hasn't gotten colder to try it out lower.) My bag is a left zip mummy bag, that is a huge improvement over the first bag I tried which was a right zip and a rectangular one. Too much bag, zipper on the wrong side. I place it in the hammock in a diagonal position and then sit down on it, pivot my feet in place, squirm a bit and then pull and tug the sides a bit and zip up. It took me 4 or 5 nights towork out the moving around thing, but a bag works fine for me. It wasn't intuitive the first time but experience helps. Even getting out to relieve myself is coming quicker with practice.

That is pretty much my technique when I need the hooded mummy bag capabilities. I do most of it while still sitting, pulling the hood over my head before I ever lay down. But my last trip only got to 40, and I just used it as a quilt with footbox.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

4th night in Clark

Well after the first couple of nights hanging and reading how everyone gets into sleeping bag and hammock. So I desided on useing FreeTheWeasle's way and it worked out great. It's been in the low 40's and high 30's here all week so it has been great testing these things like bag how to get into it, peaing in a gatoraid bottle while in hammock and not makeing a mess. I take hammock down everyday and put into stuff sack. And put it back up before each night just to get use to it all. Last night was the 4th night out I am starting to think that my neihbors think im nut's or going through a divorce and I am not married but they have been seeing me allot outside hanging in eighter of my hammocks but anyhow last night I started before dark putting it all together and comming from my DIVING BACKGROUND I teach my students to do simple task with there eyes closed well that is what I did last night from start to finish with eyes closed from tying the knots on the fly to hanging of the hammock and that included getting it out of stuff sac, makeing sure that the fly was what felt good and strainght and tight putting sleeping bag in and and lastly getting in hammock. It all worked then I opened my eyes and it looked great. again I slept in just my underarmer underwear and that was it I was toasty in bag still have to open it up from time to time to keep from getting to hot. I am useing my pillow off my bed in the house and not the one that I use for backpacking but other than that everything would be as if I was back packing. I am so glad that ( FREETHEWEASLE ) said how he get's into his bag it made this so much easyer. Now I wonder what big change's I will have to make when it drops down in the low 30's to 20's I would say that I might have to add long underwear to my pack but other than that I should be fine, cant wait to find out though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast