Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    While I do like fair weather. I already have a nice summer/low elevation setup. I do go very ultralight in the summer. I'm actually looking for a lighter-weight fringe season/high elevation setup. There are some pretty high mountains here in Utah/Colorado and even in July and August in can get below 30 at 11,000 feet.

If you notice my current setup is a 1.1oz Including suspension I'm at 10.3oz with it.
    thats good stuff! i also have some high elevations here and we dont mind hitting the winter hangs in AZ, sometimes as low as 14 degrees, (my personal record for hammocking) and usually here in the white mtns, the san fran peaks, and the sky islands that are mostly above 9K, its fun to get out and "test gear" if you know what i mean..
    this year in AZ im going to attempt, hopefully successfully, to hang down to zero. i can find temps like that in the kachina peaks wldns or the north rim and many other places. the north rim of GC can get to zero in november, or less.
    i used a te-wa winter coat down to 14, so im hoping to be able to take it to the low digits, or below the low digits. we shall see..

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Wow you shaved about 8.2oz off my exact rig just by switching out the ridgeline and going with the dynaglide whoopies?!

How are these whoopies holding up as I know they have a weight limit on them (I'm well under that limit). Any issues with rain dripping into your hammock with the dynaglides?

Also, what thickness is your zing it ridgeline...
    I was amazed too when I switched from rope and climbing biners to toggles and slings; amazing what some innovation can do. I use the 7/64 size amsteel rope for my slings and have been satisfied. The durability has been great and I believe the adjustment cord has been enough to draw the water away the running water.

Personally, I've stopped using a fixed ridgeline in my hammock. It saves a tiny amount of weight, but I think I've just become better at hanging as to not need it as a "crutch" so to speak. I also use a head net of sorts instead of a full bug net and I typically hang the net off the tarp ridgeline. My hammock mentor stopped using a bug net entirely (this in Virginia) by timing his sleep (crazy guy).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    For $800, I will carry all your gear for a weekend. You can hike free and I'll be your Sherpa. Can't get much lighter than that!
    +1 for dejoha's suggestion

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    In my current hammock I've been using a single line of 7/64 Amsteel for both the ridgeline and the suspension. I'll have to send picks. It's different then anything I have seen on here thus far, perhaps it has a weekness that I don't know about and perhaps I shouldn't be doing that that way, but it has worked for me for over a year now without leaving me on the ground.

I think I will need to post some pics on here. If a couple people could give me some feedback on how I have it setup and then I incorporated the ends into a whoopie style sling then my entire suspension, minus huggers would be a single piece of say 22" amsteel.

I am missing a bit of adjust-ability on my setup. Currently it takes me too much time to setup. I wish I had more time for DIY stuff. But then, even when I get my WBBB I'll still be trying to lighten it up on my own. It's never ending cycle, you know everything in my life is this same way?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    +1 for dejoha's suggestion
    At that price, I'd just stick a tarp in my pocket and go. I have been known to go out for a couple of days in what would fit in a tiny little camelbak, I just don't like to.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Wow you shaved about 8.2oz off my exact rig just by switching out the ridgeline and going with the dynaglide whoopies?!

How are these whoopies holding up as I know they have a weight limit on them (I'm well under that limit). Any issues with rain dripping into your hammock with the dynaglides?

I was on the fence with switching to whoopies but this change would drop me 1/2 pound and into the 10lbs base weight I was striving for..... things that make me go.... hmmmmmmm

Also, what thickness is your zing it ridgeline... 1.75 or 2.2

Raul
    Yes i switched to dynaglide, the strength of dynaglide is vastly underrated and i believe it could hold you up easily, IMO someone of 200LBS would have no issue with them. It just takes a little faith to take the plunge and hang from such a tiny line. As far as ridgeline im using the smaller one. It really doesn't matter, as it is not carry a majority of the weight. No issues with rain at all, ever. If you had some, you could solve it easily by tying half-a shoelace knot in the sling or using a tiny drip line. You still have to use tree huggers, and in that regard, polypro is lighter than poly.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Also use nacrabiners or trail stick toggles for no weight penalty, nacras are like air and there is no penalty for trail sticks, biners are unnecssary but faster IMO. I use a biner on my tarp ridgeline, but its one of those tiny tiny jrb ones.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah I mulled it over last night and pulled the trigger this morning on the Dyna Whoopies and accessories.

I'm a little apprehensive regarding taking apart my WBBB to switch out the suspension but I will take the plunge.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'm a little apprehensive regarding taking apart my WBBB to switch out the suspension but I will take the plunge.
    There's no taking apart involved. It's just one-knot to untie.... You'll do fine!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast