WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I'm thinking of going the 13-15th. Had another trip planned here in Tennessee but it looks like it will be too hot for what I wanted to do. But the forecast for Linville area looks much much better.

Any suggestions for a first timer to the gorge?
    We had original planned o do a section hike from Spring to Neels Gap on the AT but we heard news that a lot of the water sources were dry ad we also came to the conclusion that it was way to hot to d any distance hiking. We made th right choice. The weather and scenery were fantastic.
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I'm thinking of going the 13-15th. Had another trip planned here in Tennessee but it looks like it will be too hot for what I wanted to do. But the forecast for Linville area looks much much better.

Any suggestions for a first timer to the gorge?
    For three days ... you could do like you posted on the other string ... Babel towers down to Hobo or Sandy flats ... but I might also suggest going to Conley ... hike out to Rock Jock ... about 2 miles or so ... take in some of the side views ... hike back to Lost Dog and camp ... then the next day go down Conley and either up river or down to find a place that appeals to you and gets you some great river time. Then back up Conley the last day.

Another option would be to go to the east side of the gorge and check out Hawksbill, Table Rock and the Chimney area ... lots of areas to camp along the road. Then hike down Spence to visit the river.

One thing to remember ... Friday nights and Saturday nights this time of year require a camping permit. Free from the USFS ... you can order and they'll mail or fax to you. (828) 652-2144 is the number to call.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    For three days ... you could do like you posted on the other string ... Babel towers down to Hobo or Sandy flats ... but I might also suggest going to Conley ... hike out to Rock Jock ... about 2 miles or so ... take in some of the side views ... hike back to Lost Dog and camp ... then the next day go down Conley and either up river or down to find a place that appeals to you and gets you some great river time. Then back up Conley the last day.

Another option would be to go to the east side of the gorge and check out Hawksbill, Table Rock and the Chimney area ... lots of areas to camp along the road. Then hike down Spence to visit the river.

One thing to remember ... Friday nights and Saturday nights this time of year require a camping permit. Free from the USFS ... you can order and they'll mail or fax to you. (828) 652-2144 is the number to call.
    Having just got back. Hawksbill is a great place to start. It really helped me to visualize were I was the whole time we were there after having seen everything from the top. plus it's just breath taking up there!

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Good advice. I didn't know about the permits so thanks for giving me a heads up.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WBBB
    Ummm, I got to get something off my chest......

The more I go back and watch that video the more I'm beginning to wonder if, not only did the double mossy tree make it rain, but I'm wondering if it didn't somehow implant a spare tire just above my waste! Lord let's hope it's not a man child! YIKES!

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    No, Silly Squatty that is only the result of the magic spell that your evil brother put on your hipbelt! You are the spitting image of my dear old friend Hercules, and don't you ever forget that son.
    Bless your little heart, and may your brother someday see the wrong doings he has layed at your feet, to make right for rest of the world.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    The goofing around scene impersonation of the Rainbow Guy was too funny. I cracked up, thanks.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Just call me Col. Forbin! I'd rather think of myself as him.

but "Hercules"..... for some reason I see an image of of Eddie Murphy in a woman fat suit bouncing up and down in a chair, frantically clapping his/her hands together chanting "Hercules Hercules Hercules Hercules"

That's not a picture I want to have for myself!

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    No, Silly Squatty that is only the result of the magic spell that your evil brother put on your hipbelt! You are the spitting image of my dear old friend Hercules, and don't you ever forget that son.
    Bless your little heart, and may your brother someday see the wrong doings he has layed at your feet, to make right for rest of the world.
    It's just a bit of payback from when we were kids! And Why I got to be evil?

Hammock
    WBBB
    dude you bloodied my nose once that was payback enough! It twere a dang good punch right square to the old rudolf laser beam

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast