Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    I'm not sure if I like the idea of a zipper or Velcro because there is more room for water leakage that way.

I was thinking that something like what is at the head end with the rain flaps over it as well.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Those vents are pretty well covered by the suspension connection points and I think water would have a hard time getting in unless it was blowing sideways but if you could make covers like the two upper side vents have and leave them open all the time it may work. Then the lower side windows / mesh could be kept more sealed.

Wonder how you'd make those.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    If the inside surface of the top cover goes below the dew temperature for the given humidity inside the unit the water will condense out of the air and collect on the surface.

The colder it is outside the more this will become a problem. That's just how it is. Its just like breathing inside a sleeping bag - never a good idea.

Couple of options:
    1) Redesign so the surface of the thing never gets cold (hard to do, likely very heavy)
    2) Create a tunnel to breath through - prevents moisture from getting inside anything except the tunnel
    3) Vent the top a lot more than it already is - this will lessen the problem but not avoid it completely - example: My WBBB noseum gets wet / frosty in the winter and you can't get much more vented than mesh.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    wow. I've never had the condensation problem because I'm just scratching the surface of winter hangs. I allways figured 'it's a hammock I'll never be able to seal it to the point where that will be a problem.' Experience beats logic everytime. This story takes me back to boot camp. They would 'beat us' (exercise) until we would make it rain in the barracks. I'm still proud of that!

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa

That sounds like fun ... not!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    There was a Chrysalis at Mt. Rogers this year. I noticed in the wind it had a tendency to flip over and over. Anyone have trouble keeping gear organized (or in place) in theirs, or is this not a problem at all?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    There was a Chrysalis at Mt. Rogers this year. I noticed in the wind it had a tendency to flip over and over. Anyone have trouble keeping gear organized (or in place) in theirs, or is this not a problem at all?
    I'm sure that if there was enough wind, any bridge hammock could flip. With the Chrysalis there is going to be a higher tendency that it would because of the design acting like a sail.

There are 4 Tie downs on the bottom of the hammock that I have not used yet, but after my last outing I regretted not useing them.

With the unit being sealed like it is, while I was getting in my sleeping bag the hammock was rocking back and forth a lot and I started to get dizzy very badly and needed to stop the rocking many times. I'm sure that if there was no top on it, it would not have been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Once you have gear in the hammock, especially if you have some in the head or foot "pocket", the wind does not flip the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY and a Chrysalis for the FBH!
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    under/top quilts
    Suspension
    webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Just wanted to chime in here as well very old thread I know. I have been testing mine out a bit during the sub freezing temps and I found draping my wool blanket over the ridgeline helps take up a lot of that moisture a short term solution with problems of it's own. Those roof vents are definitely way too small but with side venting open the convection is a huge improvement. Good news is that my Greylock 4 fits like a glove! As far as these whipping around in the wind it is almost too funny until you get her loaded then she lays much better man that didn't come out quite right but you get the point. I love the idea of a full length ridge vent kinda along the lines of a cobra ridge vent we use on houses and garages. I am going to try to get out one more night before my frozen butt hang with some changes either way I will make it work. What gets me is buying this years ago is they showed these out in very wet snowy conditions making me think these were winter hammock tents as well. Well we will see if I can get her dialed in.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I've got an update on mine. The outer fabric along the side pulled out of the webbing that runs down each side. Didn't notice it because of the underquilt. When I first noticed it was 3 feet long There has also been a small separation up near the foot end but it never got any larger.

Contacted the owner, Dave Heldson, who said 'no problem, I'll replace it' . Very nice of him I thought and said the spreader bars and all other components are fine.

He asked for my address to ship out a new one. Then got a message that he might be able to stop on his way out camping. I said don't forget i'm in montreal and he's near Toronto.

That's the last I've heard from him in over three months. I've sent emails with no response and even asked about it on his FB page but nada.

If he wanted to tell me 'too bad - so sad' why not just do it instead of all the ignoring and unfulfilled promises.

BTW, a silver lining there always is .... it's much more comfortable having the looser inner layer now holding my weight. Makes it more conforming, not as flat.

I need someone to take it and modify it so it's got the same lay but won't rip any more (now 4' long).

YMMV

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12