DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing

found major problem with Eureka Chrysalis

If you've followed the Chrysalis threads you know several members (including me) have recently purchased them and done modifications to reduce weight.
    I was happy with mine - still looks & functions like the factory setup, but almost 2# lighter in weight.

Then my son slept in it for the second time last night. Not sure why (it was warm last night) but he closed the side vents last night.

Asked me this morning if it rained last night???????

He said the top was wet this morning, and wet was an understatement! There was water dripping off the top cover on the interior!!!!!!!!

Looks like the 2 small "roof vents" are far from adequate to prevent condensation from forming.
    wabi

Nothing like surrounding yourself in waterproof fabric for a night to make you think you suffer from enuresis. I guess having looked at the Chrysalis top before discarding it, I'm not too surprised he had condensation issues. Lose the top. A good tarp has better coverage, less condensation, and might be lighter weight than the 19 oz for the Chrysalis top.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    Then my son slept in it for the second time last night. Not sure why but he closed the side vents last night.
    Looks like the 2 small "roof vents" are far from adequate to prevent condensation from forming.
    If he closed them they couldn't work right. Did he get condensation the other time he slept in it? Were the vents open then?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    The Design of the Chrysalis doesn't look even remotely ventilated enough for me. I generate a lot of heat when I sleep. I can imagine the dripping condensation I'd get plopping down in that thing for a night.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Seems to me that having only vents on top would not provide any active ventilation. I would think having a vent-port set on the bottom in conjunction with one on top would provide a much better air exchange.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    If he closed them they couldn't work right. Did he get condensation the other time he slept in it? Were the vents open then?
    There are 2 side vents (entry/exit openings) that have an insect screen & a "storm flap" you can open or close, he had the "storm flap" closed.

I may either remove the storm flaps, or modify them so they can't cover the mesh screen completely.
    The hammock body also has mesh vents in the head & foot areas, but the top cover completely covers & blocks the vents! Poor design there!!!!!!!!
    wabi

has anyone tried the optional mesh top? It replaces the tent style top. You would need a tarp over that. Would obviously clear up the moisture problems.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    OK well some of you know that I have been useing the Eureka Chrysalis as my first hammock and have been useing it for winter camping and would like to chime in on this topic.

I love the fact that the hammock warms up fast when you get into it at night. The top does an excellent job at keeping the heat in there because of the lack of vents.

However, the side vents MUST BE LEFT OPEN....

On my first night useing it this winter I had the side vents closed up tight. It got super warm in it with the out side temps ranging from 19 - 22 degrees on my first night.
    I was very comfortable for my first time in it. When I fell asleep around 9:30pm everything was great, by the time I woke up at 6:30am, I had major problems.

The entire inside of the hammock and everything I had in it that was exposed to the air was covered in ice/frost. Every time I moved, I had ice falling on me and my equipment. Luckily it was only a one night trip and I was able to just pack everything up and take it home to dry. Had this been a 2 or more day trip I would have called it quits that morning as everything was now getting wet since it was warming up.

Just this past weekend I went on another 1 nighter with less gear and weight. I only took my -15 bag, a light weight bag to use as an underquilt inside the Hammock (yes, I know its not called an underquilt if its inside the hammock), a CC pad, a DIY Fleece liner, and a Fleece throw for the outside of the sleeping bag.

Over all I stayed warm inside the hammock. I made sure to leave the side vents at half way open to see if that would help with the Icing inside.

At Half way open, I noticed a big improvement with the icing. There was still some in there but it was 80% less then the first night. I still had ice at the foot end of the Hammock on the bottom and a little on the top. I think that the ice at the bottom was caused from the foot of the sleeping bag being warmer since I tossed in 3 hot water bottles for the night. I am including pics for you to see...

On my next winter outing I will leave the side vents all the way open for more air flow to see if that will do the trick.

Once summer comes around I think that leaving the vents open is going to have to be done as well...
    If they only added a Ridge vent about 4 feet long on the hammock top there would not be these issues that we are having with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by genegene; 02-01-2011 at 15:27. Reason: Forgot Pics

I camped in the Chrysalis on a river/canoe trip last summer. When I crawled in it was 80;s outside and i opened up the side vents all the way and just layed on the sleeping bag. I was using a Walmart excercise mat as a CCF pad.

Late at night temps got down in the low 50's and I crawled into the bag and closed the vents all the way tight. The hammock warmed right up. I had no problem with condensation.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    If you're handy with the needle and thread I'd cut the top where it covers the head and foot end vents and sew in a zipper or maybe velcro. I think if those top vents were working there would be a lot less moisture in there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast