Images

neat sheet no-sew spe

Not being the Martha Stewart type, I've been experimenting with making an spe with little or no sewing. I've posted and seen posts from others on various ways of doing that, and this is yet another one, although it would involve some un-sewing but it should be real easy.

A neat sheet (the small one, 57 x 77) has baffles running length wise that are 8 inches apart (the end baffles are 8 1/2 inches apart to account for the extra inch in width.)

Remove the edge stitching from all but the two outside baffles. You have to remove a few inches of the edge stitching anyway to get out the round corner weights. this will give you access to each baffle chamber.

Then cut up three 20" Wal-Mart pads ($6 each), or two 24" Wal-Mart pads ($12 each) into five 8" strips and slide them into each of the five inside baffles on the neat sheet.

This would give you a 40 inch pad that should wrap around your body easier than a solid 40 inch because it is divided into 8 inch sections. But before you go cutting up pads, we should consider some downsides.

1. Like any baffles that are straight through, you are not going to have much insulation at the seams, and this may create unacceptable cold spots.

2. Each 8 inch baffle may rollup and twist and turn individually to the point where together they are worst than one 40 inch pad.

3. Sleeping on 8 inch strips may not be comfortable.

Alternatively, you could remove the stitching for the two middle baffles, which would combine the three middle baffles into one 24" baffle. Then you could slide a 24" Wal-Mart pad into that baffle and put 8 inch pieces into the adjoining baffles.

If you don't want a full length baffle then you simply hand stitch the baffles shut at whatever length you want.

I sort of like this idea. Where can you find the neat sheets? Thanks, tnhillbilly

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    I think I've had an epiphany!

I'm going to use a neat sheet to rig a sleeve for my Trailite Large with two wing slots on either side that should be about 16". This should give me enough to completely protect my shoulders and elbows and it should be secured to the TR pad to keep the unit in one place.

Last night we got down to 42 deg and I was pretty toasty with the TR pad and my Western Mountaineering Mytlite quilted over me. I had a pair of rag wool sleeping socks, a pair of cotton sweats and a fleece hoodie. The only cold spots that I felt all night were below my elbows where they rested directly on the hammock. Same thing when I was on my side. Only where my knee pushed over the pad did we have an issue. The wings should solve that problem.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnhillbilly View Post
    I sort of like this idea. Where can you find the neat sheets? Thanks, tnhillbilly
    The rite aide stores in my neighborhood have them for $8

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've found them at Walgreens and Target also.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I got a couple for like $2 each last year at WalMart. They must have been on clearance. I finally made a Weathershield Under quilt and over quilt out of them this past week. I'll be trying them out this weekend. It's supposed to get into the 50's this weekend so it'll be just about right to try them. I also converted my GG Ultralight bag into an over quilt so I'll have it also if needed.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts