Thread: 2x4 phs mod

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    I'm going to talk to a fella tonight about making some of these for 2x6's. I could easily ask about them for 4x4's. Want me to ask how much he would sell some of them for if he agrees to make them?
    Sure if you don't mind. I'm looking at different options right now to build a hammock stand so I wouldn't be against finding out how much they may cost.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Hammocks.com had them last year on clearance. Originally $125, reduced to $20 including shipping. Kicking myself for not ordering a second set since they're not available anymore.
    Talk about a steal. What a discount.

Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    Sure if you don't mind. I'm looking at different options right now to build a hammock stand so I wouldn't be against finding out how much they may cost.

I'll ask. I suspect for one it may be high but if a few people here want them maybe he could do a batch of 10 or so for cheaper.

Hammock
    HH Expedition w/Hex Tarp, Mod 3
    Insulation
    Potomac KAQ, MSS
    Suspension
    Stock
    How about making these brackets for 2x4's? The bracket could be on the bottom for using 2x4 outriggers. It may be possible to use some 'C' channel with a plate welded on the sides. Do you all think the 2x4 would be strong enough? The PHS I have is strong enough. Maybe go to a 2x6?
    The best thing if the 2x4 would work is that it could be easily disassembled for moving. It would be dead dog simple, with a minimum of parts and everyone can carry a 2x4 pretty easily.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

Simpson brackets

At Home Depot and Lowes, there will be Simpson brackets that might work, but they are galvanized sheet metal so they are not as elegant looking. Look in the Simpson catalog for more shapes than are stocked.

As the OP's pictures show, you don't really need any brackets. Some stain would make the 2x4s look nicer.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Poet View Post
    How about making these brackets for 2x4's? The bracket could be on the bottom for using 2x4 outriggers. It may be possible to use some 'C' channel with a plate welded on the sides. Do you all think the 2x4 would be strong enough? The PHS I have is strong enough. Maybe go to a 2x6?
    The best thing if the 2x4 would work is that it could be easily disassembled for moving. It would be dead dog simple, with a minimum of parts and everyone can carry a 2x4 pretty easily.
    I am going to use 2x4's for the stand I'm building tonight but not for this bracket thing. I'm not sure I would want them for the outriggers because there would be some play and I think any play on that particular part of the stand isn't good. People may have other opinions but that's what I think. I think the angle iron piece on the bottom is what I'd want to use and wood screw into the outriggers.

However if it was decided that the bracket could have a spot for the arm, the base AND the outrigger to slide through (one long piece) them I'm sure that could be made.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    He said he could make them but he is afraid of the liability outside of making a set for me. We did a bit of theorizing on how to produce them on a larger scale which was a fun exercise. For him or anybody else to do them at a price that would be attractive to the general audience he would have to make a certain number of pieces so full lengths of raw materials could be purchased at once. For instance a 21' length of angle iron for the part that is welded to the elbows that gets attached to the "feet" and so on. Still even with that the liability scared him. All it takes is one lawyer to ruin someone.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    Thanks for checking and I understand.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sounds like a job for Dutch. Dutch Clips, Dutch Stands... whats next...
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Seems like I have seen similar brackets at Menards or HD or Lowes or some place like that. Check the area where they sell the stuff to make kids play sets. The brackets have to be strong to hold the play set together. You may or may not find exactly what you are looking for. I have not specifically looked for these types of brackets myself just remember seeing something like them at one time.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast