Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

We are NOT freaks!

Well, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread so mods, please move it if it isn't. Thanks.

In the last couple of months, it seems that whoever came to the house for dinner or whatever,( my wife loves to entertain). The subject of me sleeping in my hammock out on the deck, night after night has always come up. So I'll take them out and show them my set-up, for the most part they seem intrigued & kind of this bewildered look comes across their face, but.....

The one question always seems to come up....."Why do you sleep out here in a hammock?"

I'll tell them all the usual points. It's way more comfortable, no creepy crawlies on you, it's way drier than a tent, etc..so I got to thinking I'll just ask my friends at HF the same question. I'll admit, I do kinda get a kick out of it when they shake their heads in disbelief.

Those of you who sleep in your hammock on a regular basis, do you get those same kind of situations? Tell us your stories, and remember....we're NOT freaks, we're enlightened!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I'm getting a little tired of it, actually.

I may have my freek on, but so what?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Social acceptance

I've got mine hanging in the bedroom, and usually talk of hammock's comes up.
    What really blows people's hair back is the dynaglide whoopie and dynaglide soft shackle. As most of you know, I'm a heavy guy (340) and when these new people see me hanging on this thin line their jaw drops.

If they think I'm weird, so what, I know what's comfortable for ME. And thats the important thing. Being uncomfortable and conforming to societies standards of night-time resting places (i.e., a mattress) lent to my back problems, IMO.
    Now that I sleep in the hammock, my stiffness has gone away. My pain has gone away. My meds have gone away.

Let 'em laugh, or call you a freak.
    It almost seems like its the struggle with closed minds. Comfort is comfort.

Media and manufacturers of beds, mattresses, and bedding products (sheets pillows, blankets) have a big foothold on the minds of consumers. It has been a long standing sign of success to own the coolest bed/mattress/pillow.
    I find it humorous to observe people with the "new mattress" they just spent $2,000 on, and then walk around complaining about their back hurting. Soon, they are buying another new mattress. and another......

Sit around the watercooler some days and just listen to folks boast of the newest, greatest mattress. I think it's more about them bragging up their expenditure, than it is about comfort..but that's getting off track...like I don't do that enough.

Let 'em laugh, or call you a freak.
    Comfort is comfort.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I find it humorous to observe people with the "new mattress" they just spent $2,000 on, and then walk around complaining about their back hurting. Soon, they are buying another new mattress. and another......
    That's funny you'd mention that. I little while back my in-laws bought a high priced mattress and just about every week I listen to them say how they didn't sleep good the other night.
    My reply is always the same....I tell them, "I went to bed at 9:30 and didn't wake up 'til 3,(nature call) and then went back to sleep 'til 5:30. I feel great!"
    My bed costs me less than $100.00
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    That's funny you'd mention that. I little while back my in-laws bought a high priced mattress and just about every week I listen to them say how they didn't sleep good the other night.
    My reply is always the same....I tell them, "I went to bed at 9:30 and didn't wake up 'til 3,(nature call) and then went back to sleep 'til 5:30. I feel great!"
    My bed costs me less than $100.00
    exactly. Like lots of things, its better to be a good example, than to preach.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Sit around the watercooler some days and just listen to folks boast of the newest, greatest mattress.
    They are gear junkies, just like you... they just have the wrong gear!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Last night, lying awake at 1am in my oh-so-expensive, name-brand, space-age bed, I thought about how I can sleep so well on my back in my BB when I am on the trail. My biggest problem is that the Trail Diva absolutely pitches a fit if I am not physically in bed with her. Any one else have that problem?

Oh, and she thinks I am a nut for want to hang every night. But she hasn't had 2 dics fused in her neck and 2 others blown out in her L2-L3 area, either. Those with good backs just can never understand our pain, and how much a hammock can relieve it....

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I AM a freak, I accept it. Just because I am markedly unusual doesn't mean it is wrong. As you said we are enlightened.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    my back and hips have been screaming at me lately and now that I think about it, I've done less camping this past month (probably because it's been soooo hot). I think I'll go put up my hammock in the backyard, I need a good night's rest.

Oh, and my husband is getting more and more used to me sleeping out back. He still thinks I'm nuts though.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Am I a freak?? Well....mama always said I was SPECIAL...
    It is funny that some folks won't bat an eye spending two grand on a bed,
    Then look at ya like you have grown a third eye cause you spend a hundred seventy five on a hammock.. Funny thing is, everyone that has laid in my black bird always makes the same sound... AAAaaaahhhhhhh... Nuf said..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast