WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I first got into hammocks for sleeping back when I was living in my first apartment and I was looking for a cost effective way to sleep comfortably. Got one for myself and one for my roommate. I loved mine, especially in the summer with no A/C in south Texas.

My roommate never really got the 'hang' of it, and when his girlfriend moved in - she didn't understand it at all. They would rather sleep snuggling on the couch than in the hammock, and the hammock was one of the only things they left behind when they moved out.

I just have to keep in mind that it's not for everyone, and it's not my job to defend it or evangelize it. If they are genuinely interested I have more info than they really want to hear. They may think I'm a freak for liking it, but they are kinda freaky for NOT liking it. Some people just aren't comfortable no matter what you do.

My mother-in-law has tried my hammocks but won't sleep in one. She admits they are comfortable but would rather sleep on the bed. She also drank a glass of lactose free milk and didn't know the difference till I told her, but won't ever drink it again because it's 'lactose free'. Some people don't accept things that are different no matter how good they are. But there is hope! My mother-in-law didn't like me at first - but she loves me now! It just took 10 years...

Hammock
    Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    There's no such thing as normal.
    As for me, the only reaction I get from people when I tell them about my hammock is 'cool!'
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    I Like the Devo reference!

Reminds me that I've always been attracted to sports that are a little different. Backpacking wasn't all that mainstream and until recently with these forums and meetup groups I kind of was on my own.
    Did some Hobie Cat racing. (all my friends had bass or ski boats.) I got into Mountain Biking in it's infancy as a sport. Many people couldn't believe you could ride a bike in the woods. And talk about the looks and questions I get when people see me on my recumbent bicycle.
    I'm willing to bet, there's more recumbent riders and Hobie Cat'ers on this forum. You know birds of a feather. I Wonder what other non mainstream sports you guys are into?

---Iggy----
    ====> LOL! Well, I like to hurl myself head first towards the planet from a tad over 2 1/2 miles in the air (13,500 ft)! Have reached speeds well over 200 mph in that attitude. Belly to earth (see Avatar) is around 125 mph for me. Is that extreme? I don't think so!

BTW: The woods look awesome in the fall in New England from that altitude! Sometimes I deploy really high, and then just float around up there for 10-15 minutes or so under canopy drinking it all in!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    Slowhike,I loved that movie!...............I have to spend 9-10 nights a month in Rescue Squad stations that are pretty uncomfortable ,even if you get to sleep.Not allowed to do any hammocking in buildings or grounds cause it could create a workmans comp nightmare if I were to fall out and crack my egg,but it's alright if I roll out of a top bunk because that's what is provided for me to slumber in.So I stay out on the bay floor in a lawnchair in front of a 36" fan cause I hate the AC.That alone makes me not right.Makes hanging in the tractor shed that more enjoyable>
    Confession... I've never seen that movie (though I ought to), only a few bits. But what stuck w/ me most was Jerry Seinfield's use of that line in one of his shows
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Whatever one I'm laying in.
    Tarp
    Old tent fly
    Insulation
    Self inflating pad
    Suspension
    Trees
    Those of us on the Group W bench are aware that we're normal and all the rest of you are so far around the bend as to defy classification.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DFL View Post
    Those of us on the Group W bench
    You can get anything you want...at Alice's Restaurant....
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    "lotta freaks!"
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Put a hammock up in the bedroom just over a month ago and have not slept in the bed since then. I sleep better and my wife sleeps better, I would toss and turn all night in bed and of course the movement would wake her up. Now when i lie down i fall asleep in minutes instead of the hour+ it used to take me and when i wake up i'm in the same position as when i fell asleep, no more tossing and turning.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    whoopie sling, DC

Hanging High All Summer

With no AC in the California foothills, outside in a hammock is the most reasonable, not to mention exquisitely comfortable choice. My three dogs can't wait until we leave the hot house and bed down outside. Coworkers and friends shake their heads--"isn't it dangerous?" Of course, I think living in downtown Stockton is the dangerous choice.... Come winter, am thinking about moving the hammock stand inside to continue the comfort. How long do Blackbird zippers last?

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    I'm a self-employed cabinetmaker whose shop is at the house! Nuff said!
    Three cheers from another member of the work-from-home crowd! THIRTEEN days until school starts again. WooHoo!

Boris

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast