Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Who has the mesh free Safari?

Has anybody tried these out yet? I got mine today, and it's not like I thought it would be. I was expecting it to lay exactly like my UL Explorer, except without the net and with top loading capabilities. Plus some extra comfort do to being somewhat bigger. But, it is not at all like my other HH. Somebody had said on an earlier post that the netting had a good bit to do with how the HH lays. Some others thought this was not correct. But I'm beginning to think it is.

First impressions, including negatives:
    1: When I draw the ridge line tight, it does not look at all like my other HH. It looks like my Speer looks when I add a RL and get enough sag for comfort. Which is to say, there is a VERY pronounced sag even wit the RL pulled pretty darn tight and straight.

2: These are called "loungers" by HH. But though it makes a fine chair while leaning forward, I haven't yet figured out how to lounge except just to get in and lay down. I'm used to using my Speer as a chair and lounger. And my HH UL Explorer works even better if I just hang it pretty loose. In either I can sit normally, or lean back as in a recliner with legs outside the hammock, or lay back in it, outside the net in the HH. But with this Safari, there is zero support behind my back if I sit down and lay back. The only way I can "lounge" is to get inside. What am I missing here?

3: The hammock does not feel as stable as my other HH or my Speer with lots of sag. I think that's because there is no netting holding the sides up. You are not in a "bathtub" as with a Speer, the sides lay flatter as with a HH, and this effect is magnified with no net. I get the impression it would be a bit easier to roll out of it than with my HH or Speer, but this may be imagination.

First impressions, positive:
    1: I can lay completely fat with zero knee extension, even with the RL pulled quite tight. I mean flat as a board. There seems to be a pretty pronounced ridge up the middle foot end( much more noticeable than with my UL Explorer), where the bottom Velcro is. But this hammock is big enough that, even with that center ridge, I have room for my legs to the right side of it when going diagonal, and there is enough length ( I am 6'1", 205 lbs) so I can completely stretch out, resulting in complete flat position.
    2: I can lay completely flat on my left side, with legs either fully stretched out or fetal position. Trying to lay on my right side is so far less successful, for some reason.
    3: It is very comfortable even when off the diagonal, just laying straight in the hammock. My knees are not extended and there is lots of room for my upper body.
    4: In all of these positions, there is zero shoulder squeeze. And plenty of room for me to put my hands behind my head without my elbows being tight for space.
    5: And of course, no net. ( Pro or con, depending on situation)

So, 1st impression: Some great things, some not so great. Any thoughts or ideas? I think I wish they made a Safari with net, but with UL Explorer materials to save weight.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I ordered two of the mesh free safari's and it is one BIG hammock. I unpacked the first one and took it to the where I hang in the yard and put it up, adjusted the ridge line tight got in and my butt was hitting the ground. There is a lot of sag with the way it is set up so had to raise the tree straps about two feet to give it clearance from the ground.
    Initial evaluation
    1) when laying in it I could not reach the ridge line without sitting up.
    2) the edges are low on both sides and could see horizontal without any of the hammock blocking the view.
    3) was comfortable in all the positions I normally lay in.

The next day we cut the ridge line and pulled some of the sag out of it adding aprox 18 inches to the ridge line.
    Second evaluation
    1) could now reach the ridge line when laying down.
    2) the edges of the hammock pulled up a bit and could only view horizontaly from the side my head was on.
    3) was less comfortable laying straight in the hammock but was comfy in all my normal diagonal sleeping positions.
    4) the edge seems to be in danger of ripping when getting into it from the top, with the sewn shut ends pulling hard on the ridge line when getting in and sitting on the edge.

I am going to add a zippered bug screen to it eventually to keep it top loading as I prefer. When ordering it the lady said if I didn't like the bottom loading to just sew it shut.

In closing I am not unpleased with it, but I would not order another, would order a smaller one. AS I currently have five BYO finished hammocks that are so dam light and comfy there is no reason to hurry putting a net on the safari's. I have quite a few asking to borrow them and the safari will work great for some "large" buddies of mine.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    ...........................The next day we cut the ridge line and pulled some of the sag out of it adding aprox 18 inches to the ridge line...................4) the edge seems to be in danger of ripping when getting into it from the top, with the sewn shut ends pulling hard on the ridge line when getting in and sitting on the edge. ............... AS I currently have five BYO finished hammocks that are so dam light and comfy there is no reason to hurry putting a net on the safari's. I have quite a few asking to borrow them and the safari will work great for some "large" buddies of mine.
    Wow, 18" added! Interesting. Is that stress on the edge only since you lengthened the RL, or was that from the start. I'll have to pay attention to that when I try it again, hopefully today. I'm also looking forward to trying the tarp.

What is BYO?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-11-2007 at 07:56.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Build your own?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You beat me to it NCPatrick!

Couldn't reach the ridgeline without sitting up? That's a little crazy. I'm surprised to hear of the troubles and I'm wondering if it is really all about the netting. There are several folks here that have cloned the HHs or just snipped the netting off and installed a zipper or velcro. I haven't heard them talking about these things, but maybe they can pipe-in and tell us if they had the same difficulties.

At least I don't have quite as much regret for not getting one of these to-good-to-be-true sale hammocks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Build your own?

Oh- Duh, should have figured that one out! I guess my mind could only handle DIY, and I thought BYO might have been related to Byer(sp?) brand or something.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Is there anyone here that has a safari with the bug net on it and if so, does it have a lot of sag to it?
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Just went to the HH web site and had a look at one of the large hammock there. In the picture there is a person sitting up in the hammock and his head is below the ride line and the sag in it is huge. The one that I bought would look the same with a net on it so that must just be the reg. design for that size. Can you reach the ridge line when laying in your safari Billybob?
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You beat me to it NCPatrick!

Couldn't reach the ridgeline without sitting up? That's a little crazy. I'm surprised to hear of the troubles and I'm wondering if it is really all about the netting. There are several folks here that have cloned the HHs or just snipped the netting off and installed a zipper or velcro. I haven't heard them talking about these things, but maybe they can pipe-in and tell us if they had the same difficulties.

At least I don't have quite as much regret for not getting one of these to-good-to-be-true sale hammocks.
    For fourty dollars it is still a great deal in my mind. As we all well know each of us likes their hammock to be modified to suit our individual preferences. When I do get around to putting on the bug net, adding a zipper and getting the ridge line and sag the way I like it, I am certain I will love that huge hammock.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    I am certain I will love that huge hammock.
    No doubt about that. TH does make a pretty good product!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast