Images

DIY--always a work in progress

Since I started this hammock, it has taken on many different looks and accessories. Here are some pics of where it is now.

BTW, the tarp is hung for extra sun protection only as it was "hottern' whizz" as my dad would say.

Here it is with bugnet deployed:

Bugnet stowed--I have 4 or 5 ties along one side so I can roll it up and tie it out of the way:

I have a large pocket sewn onto the opposite side of the bugnet. I am not sure if I like this too much or not...probably should have made it the same color as the hammock:

I am using whoopie's with tree straps, and a DIY Dutch Clip (I was bored at work):

The tarp is a cheap Guide Gear from Sportsman's Guide. I for get the dimensions (10X12, I think) It was made to hang on the diagonal, but I like to A-frame it once in awhile so I sewed some airbag material as reinforcement with loops made of the same material.

And the inevitable nostril shot:
    And shoe shot (those are my Keen's I had for about 5 years. They are wearing like mocassins):

Thanks for looking

Tone
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice set up! Always like to see what people are doing with the DIY angle. Are those skins for your hammock or is that a bishop style bag?

Images
    That's a snakeskin. When I made it, I did not have a bugnet and wasn't sure it would fit over both the hammock and bugnet, but it works out pretty good. I just have to compress everything while i slide the skin over. It will even hold my winter sock+hammock+bugnet, but it doesn't like to. I will probably need to make a little bigger skin...or better, yet, a new hammock and a new skin for winter.
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TAlexander View Post

Tone;

Just curious, but why are you using three biners for this connection?

The DIY Dutch clip looks great. Is it steel or Aluminum?

Does your bugnet attach via zipper or does it hang over and weighted down?

BTW, I like the pocket. Easily found in low light.

Images
    "Just curious, but why are you using three biners for this connection?"

More weight--I like a good challenge...
    In reality, the line for the bugnet wasn't long enough. I had it stretched to the max. It wouldn't have been a problem, but this was the first time that I did the ridgeline over the tarp method, leaving me with no place to fasten the bugnet's line. It was just something I did not think about until I was out there without extra cord. Usually, I use prusiks/mini-biners to attach the bugnet to the RL.

Side note:::After looking at that pic again, I need to learn how to clip my extra threads better.

The bugnet is sewn to one side with a hefty zipper on the other. The Zipper came off of a truck cover that was in our dumpster at work. I actually got two of them. The cover was pretty nasty (wet and moldy), so I did have to work for it.

The DIY Dutch clip is aluminum. It is pretty thick, maybe 3/8-1/2 inch. It was what was on hand at the time. I had second thoughts about posting pics of it, as Dutch Clips are pretty revered around here. Then I thought, "oh well, people are DIYing everything else that is being sold out there."

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'm digging the bugnet. I like the option of opening up the hammock. Clever.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    I hear ya, I added pockets to mine too. I love them and they are a must imo. I put my shoes or boots on one side, and my handgun, wallet, cell phone, and pocket knife in the other.

• + New Posts