Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings

Thread Help

Hey guys,
    I'm on my lunch break so I stopped by Hancock Fabs for some thread for my sil tarp ( I think I'm ready for the real stuff now) but the only guttermans they carry is cotton, so I've been using Coats&Clark outdoor UV resist..T67 if anybody knows that type. it works good but is tough on my injector, so the lady gave me a deal on some lighter thread same brand C&C T41 40wt 100% trilobal poly, Has anybody used this thread seems kinda weak.. Don't want to mess up my new sil... Thanks for the help. ETH
    Last edited by EastTexasHanger; 08-04-2010 at 18:44. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Not to be a stickler but it is tHread. I kept imagining tires or hiking boot soles. hehehe

Tell us why the thread is hard on the machine. Are you using the right size needle? Does the tension need to be adjusted? The Coats and Clark you were using should work fine in most any machine. However, C&C is notoriously poor quality thread. But even at that, by the time you get the flat felled seam sewn and the hems bound/rolled /stuffed or how ever you finish them you should have more than enough thread to compensate for any weakness in the new selection. On the plus side the lighter thread will let you use a smaller needle. Some folks find that a good thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Sorry about that,was in a hurry knew it didn't look right. I'll probably use the UV thread or go to the big city a find some gutterman poly and while I'm there go to REI.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I bought a cone of thread from Speer Hammocks. They do not sell it any longer on the new site tttrailgear. Thru-hiker.com sells cones of 6000 yards for either $14 or $15 depending on the weight.

Also, if this is going to be your first project with sil, I suggest that you practice some hems on a small scrap piece or make a stuff sack or both before tackling the tarp project. Sil is VERY slippery stuff to work with and sew.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Not to be a stickler but it is tHread. I kept imagining tires or hiking boot soles. hehehe

Tell us why the thread is hard on the machine. Are you using the right size needle? Does the tension need to be adjusted? The Coats and Clark you were using should work fine in most any machine. However, C&C is notoriously poor quality thread. But even at that, by the time you get the flat felled seam sewn and the hems bound/rolled /stuffed or how ever you finish them you should have more than enough thread to compensate for any weakness in the new selection. On the plus side the lighter thread will let you use a smaller needle. Some folks find that a good thing.
    Ramblinrev,Thanks for the offer. The needles I use are Singer 70/9 & 80/11. I believe the tension is pretty good, top and bottom stitches are pretty tight, but not pinched, every once in awhile I'll get a ball underneath, the problem is every so often the feed dogs act like one of their legs are broken and starts feeding sideways, a real pain on a tarp seam, its more operator error than the injector.. Dail-N-Sew console type. Anyway thanks for any suggestions.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    If your getting a ball underneath maybe your machines timing is out . . . ???
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker_DC View Post
    I bought a cone of thread from Speer Hammocks. They do not sell it any longer on the new site tttrailgear. Thru-hiker.com sells cones of 6000 yards for either $14 or $15 depending on the weight.

Also, if this is going to be your first project with sil, I suggest that you practice some hems on a small scrap piece or make a stuff sack or both before tackling the tarp project. Sil is VERY slippery stuff to work with and sew.
    Thanks for the heads up, looked them up earlier. Yep this is the 1st Sil Trap I'm starting but I have made some smaller things with it before, stuffsacks, backpack lid,ect... but nothing with a 10' seam, But I ain't askeerd...much... I plan on taking my time. Thanks for the advice, I'll prolly be back for more..

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I would suggest trying a heavier needle. Try a 14 or 16 on scraps and see if the machine performs better. The 9 or 11 should work fine on the lighter thread. The other option would be to try the lighter thread on scraps and see how the machine preforms. If it is a mechanical problem it should show problems then as well. The needle holes are bigger with the heavier needle but you are going to seal the seams anyway.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    If your getting a ball underneath maybe your machines timing is out . . . ???
    Thats what I thought to, took it for a tune up, it was fine, I was the cause mostly, pushing and pulling thats a no no thats what the little lady told me at the injector shop

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Ramblinrev, I'll go with a different needle setup, this new thread is old or very weak, I can wrap it around my thumb an then around my index finger spread my fingers and break it ,tried it with cotton to, it was a little harder than the poly, don't think it would stand up to you snap test, yep.. I've seen your vids..so bigger needle stronger thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast