Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Improvised Underquilt

Ok, gang, I need to advice of the how-to gang on this one. I'm going camping with Short Stuff and a friend and his sons this weekend. They're groundlings that I'm trying to convert, but Short Stuff and I steadfastly refuse to go to the ground. I was thinking that an underquilt for each of us would be a good thing, but I don't own one, much less two. I do have a couple old mummy bags here at home and was trying to figure out how to improvise them into underquilts for the weekend. Do you guys have any ideas? And and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a whole big bunch in advance, y'all!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Would one of your fellow Kentuckians loan you any for the weekend?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I made one in a few seconds for my mom once. I just took a sheet of fleece and tied paracord to the four corners. Then I just tied the cord to the attachment points of the hammock. It leaves a little gap on the ends since it gets narrow, but I just folded them over like a pleat and clipped it together with a bulldog clip (the black ones for holding lots of paper). Didn't cost anything, and didn't modify the fleece. She was in it at the time so the paracord fit right.

If you plan on doing this with the hammock empty maybe include some bungee tiedowns to allow the hammock to stretch. Just tie the paracord to the corners, and tie a bowline on the end. Maybe making the line a coulpe inches from the corner of the sleeping bag. THen just hook one end of a bungee cord in the loop, and the other end into the attachment point of the hammock.

It doesn't look real clean or professional, but it works. It uses materials already on hand, and doesn't damage or modify anything.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    doesn't damage or modify anything.

Well that's no fun at all!

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Ok, gang, I need to advice of the how-to gang on this one. I'm going camping with Short Stuff and a friend and his sons this weekend. They're groundlings that I'm trying to convert, but Short Stuff and I steadfastly refuse to go to the ground. I was thinking that an underquilt for each of us would be a good thing, but I don't own one, much less two. I do have a couple old mummy bags here at home and was trying to figure out how to improvise them into underquilts for the weekend. Do you guys have any ideas? And and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a whole big bunch in advance, y'all!
    Yes to what cerberus said. The trick is to try it before you go, and be sure to take extra tieing materials with you as a just in case.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Well that's no fun at all!
    Depends on the sleeping bag. $30 walmart/garage sell sleeping bag is lots of fun.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i recently went car camping w/ friends. after the first night, one friend was considering going home because his air mat on the ground left him w/ a sore back.
    i offered him an extra hammock & since it got down to about 37°f night before i wanted him to have more than just a thermarest.
    i used one of the extra acrylic blankets someone had brought by putting rocks in the two of the corners & adding cord to attach it to the hammock supports.
    i simply took up the excess hanging down in the center & tied it, closing the end.
    the other end (which he used as the foot end) i had extra blanket length, so i just brought it up over the end of the hammock & whipped it.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9300028.JPG
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9300027.JPG

last winter at the mt rogers camp out we did something similar w/ an extra top quilt (which was just a sleeping bag w/ the zipper removed.
    we used griff clips to add the cords so we could attach it to the hammock ends, but in a pinch, you could use rocks, etc.

as long as the temps aren't dropping really low, you can improvise w/o to much problem & stay nice & warm.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas, gang. I think I'm going to try to rib the old mummy bags up under the hammock with 550 cord and see how it goes. I'll let ya know how it went when we get back Sunday night or so. Have a great weekend, y'all!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts