Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    I have a DJ(long) and I love it. The fabric is very soft and doesn't make the noise that some other fabrics make when you move around in it. The reflective pad works amazingly well. I used it this past winter - reflective pad between the layers with a zero degree sleeping bag - & was comfortable at 15 degrees (F). Now my buddies with Explorers have bought the same material at Lowes & use it in their hammocks.
    Hung this spring with a shorter CCF pad with great success. Don't remember exact temperatures; maybe around 50.
    I just came back from a 4 night trip with lows in the mid 60's. Left the reflective pad at home & just used my 40 degree sleeping bag (was a little more than I needed). GREAT nights!
    I stuck with the stock/diamond tarp and have never been wet. Alot of people get a larger tarp and suspend it separatly (which is good), but I kept the original to save weight. I keep it connected to the hammock suspension, so when the hammock goes down, so does the tarp. Tarp stays close to the hammock so you don't need more tarp to maintain coverage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have a DJ(long) and I love it. The fabric is very soft and doesn't make the noise that some other fabrics make when you move around in it. The reflective pad works amazingly well. I used it this past winter - reflective pad between the layers with a zero degree sleeping bag - & was comfortable at 15 degrees (F). Now my buddies with Explorers have bought the same material at Lowes & use it in their hammocks.
    Hung this spring with a shorter CCF pad with great success. Don't remember exact temperatures; maybe around 50.
    I just came back from a 4 night trip with lows in the mid 60's. Left the reflective pad at home & just used my 40 degree sleeping bag (was a little more than I needed). GREAT nights!
    I stuck with the stock/diamond tarp and have never been wet. Alot of people get a larger tarp and suspend it separatly (which is good), but I kept the original to save weight. I keep it connected to the hammock suspension, so when the hammock goes down, so does the tarp. Tarp stays close to the hammock so you don't need more tarp to maintain coverage.
    Good to know on the pad. I agree on the excellent coverage provided by the stock tarp when attached to the hammock. But have you done anything, any tricks, to deal with the loose tarp after you get in? Or is it just not that much of a problem for you? I have to use various tricks to quiet the thing down in the wind. Good coverage though, virtually bomb proof when used with the HH SS.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    I don't worry about the "loose" tarp. I had some thoughts about small bungies, etc before my trip last week, but when I set up & looked at it, I decided that the center (ridgeline) of the tarp is loose, but the edges are tight all the way around, corner to corner. It flaps a little when I'm not in it, and it doesn't really change when I get in. The rain has never pooledon the tarp, so I decided to just leave it alone. I know the tarp is tight around the edges, so I just consider the flapping to be a soothing bedtime lulaby.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I don't worry about the "loose" tarp. I had some thoughts about small bungies, etc before my trip last week, but when I set up & looked at it, I decided that the center (ridgeline) of the tarp is loose, but the edges are tight all the way around, corner to corner. It flaps a little when I'm not in it, and it doesn't really change when I get in. The rain has never pooledon the tarp, so I decided to just leave it alone. I know the tarp is tight around the edges, so I just consider the flapping to be a soothing bedtime lulaby.
    Good to know that is working for you as is! I have not had that much luck, wind wise, though I am still an overall fan of the total system, including Super Shelter.

One night on my first ever week long hammock hanging backpacking trip, I thought the flapping would drive me insane. I thought it was going to be impossible to go to sleep. The cold wind was blowing straight in the foot end from the lake about 50 feet away, and I thought some body was popping a whip or little fire crackers or something near my ears. It was a sound like when you shake out a rug, snapping it, only louder. And very loud every now and then, every time I was just about to doze off. All despite me getting out several times to tighten up. Since it wasn't raining any way, if I had only known then to get out and tie at least one end of that sucker to a tree! Or if I had only known several other tricks I later learned, like hanging a weighted stuff sack from the glove hooks on the tarp side tie outs (their very purpose it turns out! ), or any of several other tricks. Or if I had even had my trusty ear plugs. Live and learn.

But it's all good! The hammock comfort plus fatigue caused me to pass out after an hour or so and I knew NOTHING until the sounds of my grumpy hiking mates breaking camp woke me up. It turned out that, despite the noise, I was the only one who ended up being comfy and warm that night. The HH UL Explorer with SS and it's wind proof bottom, and a wind proof bag as quilt, ruled! Once I was out, apparently no amount of noise from that tarp could wake me up even for a minute. I think I was the only happy, well rested person in camp the next morning.

Also, I am most impressed that you were warm at 15*F with just that HH reflective pad under you. Do you consider yourself a very warm sleeper? Do you notice any decrease in over all comfort when using the pad, vs with no pad?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    O.E.S Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Lost river UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I opened this thread in hopes of a discount on HH for everyone..
    now i'm jealous!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    I do keep a pair of earplugs in my ridgeline pouch, so that helps. I'll have to try the weights on the tie-out hooks.
    I am really not a warm sleeper. I have had problems in the past with cold feet (hammock & tent), probably because I am 6/3" & have long legs. In the hammock, I can avoid this if I don't put my feet higher than my head.
    As for comfort, I don't find a difference with or without a pad. I just choose the pad (or none) based on the temperature.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12