Hammock
    blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    suprfly
    Insulation
    JRB-full length

double layer vs weathershield

does a weathershield (jrb) slung on shockcord and mini biners provide equal protection as a double layered hammock? I guess I'm talking more about mosquitoes as the second layer ain't much fir warmth. is it worth sewing an extra layer or sewing my jrb weather shield to my hammock? I love not having my *** dined upon while I lay in a hammock. the double layered hanmocks I've been in seem to prevent *** and back chomping. any input would be appreciated
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 08-05-2010 at 07:10. Reason: profanity

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reeock View Post
    does a weathershield (jrb) slung on shockcord and mini biners provide equal protection as a double layered hammock? I guess I'm talking more about mosquitoes as the second layer ain't much fir warmth. is it worth sewing an extra layer or sewing my jrb weather shield to my hammock? I love not having my *** dined upon while I lay in a hammock. the double layered hanmocks I've been in seem to prevent *** and back chomping. any input would be appreciated
    I'm thinking it's gonna be tough for a skeeter to get through either a double layer hammock or a weathershield.

That said, there is more substance to the weathershield, and it will cut wind and provide protection from side-blown rain. I've used a DIY one as a very lightweight UQ in the summer, was comfortable at about 60 degrees F with wind next to Lake Michigan. I would have been shivering I think in a double layer hammock.

YMMV
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by reeock View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking???

A double layer is on the bottom of your hammock and a weathershield covers the top no-see-um. Both will prevent skeeters from biting through to you.
    With my Clark hammock, I don't need a double layer on the bottom because the material Clark uses is skeeter proof (and I've tested it extensively!!). I do have a weathershield over my no-see-um. I do not use it to prevent skeeter bites but for bad weather and when it's cold to hold in a bit of heat inside. It works very well for those uses.
    As far as adding a second layer to your hammock, when you add an under quilt, you've then added a second layer. Or if you add pads on the inside for insulation, you've again added a second layer. Only when you have no insulation under you will you have to worry about skeeters. How often do you camp without insulation?? If it's a lot, then I'd think about adding a second layer.
    (if I've misinterpreted your question, then ignore all this )

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    If the edges of the weathersheild maintain contact with the hammock all around, not leaving gaps like typical UQs at the ends... (if you loosen it up because the quilt might be too warm...) then skeeters wont have a opening to dine thru a single layer...

For that reason, I might still opt for a double layer and use a weathersheild for the reasons Gargoyle mentioned or extra protection from sideblown rain.

With that thought, I made a couple neat sheet UQ's last year (to practice my sewing!) which can act as a weathershield... Now, Im thinking of modifying one of them similar to Mac's IX UQ (but then I might take away the ability to open the ends to cool off a little... cant win em all.)
    Last edited by Harpo63; 08-05-2010 at 07:20.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tina - only Clark calls the zip-up top cover a weathershield. The weathershield he's talking about is the JRB style. It's basically an underquilt with only a single layer of nylon...it blocks the wind and keeps the moisture off of your UQ or bottom of the hammock.

There's also a version that's just a quilt cover for your TQ as well, but the undercover gets talked about more often.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Tina - only Clark calls the zip-up top cover a weathershield. The weathershield he's talking about is the JRB style. It's basically an underquilt with only a single layer of nylon...it blocks the wind and keeps the moisture off of your UQ or bottom of the hammock.

There's also a version that's just a quilt cover for your TQ as well, but the undercover gets talked about more often.

Oh!! I get it now!! Thanks for the info!!

• + New Posts