Suspension Help!

Hey folks. I'm very new to hammock camping. I just bought a grand trunk ultralight hammock to start things off. From what I've read, I should ditch the stock cord and "s" hooks and upgrade. But what do I upgrade to? I've been looking at Amsteel with the tree straps. I've also been considering 1in tubular webbing and just tossing a truckers hitch in it. My three main criteria to fit for suspension is low cost, low weight, and convenient. Can I have it all?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a big proponent of the Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension. Might not meet the low-cost requirement, but works great.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    My first hammock I did continuos loops larkshead tied to the hammock whipping.

To attach to a tree I had a set of polyester ratchet straps (I think they were rigid brand) that I canibalized. They were rated 1400lbs and were poly. Do not use nylon.

I wrapped the strap around the tree and back through a loop on one end. At the hammock I threaded the strap through the loop, and lashed the strap to itself using the hennesey "figure eight lash".

It was cheap, simple and effective. It was a bit of a hassle to adjust until you get used to it. I've since graduated to cinch buckles on one hammock and rings on the other.

I highly reccomend the cinch buckles. I think dutch sells them for something like $5. You can even but a complete rigging set with them already threaded on continuous loops and a set of tree straps for $30 or $40 (I think?)

Good luck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm a big proponent of the Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension. Might not meet the low-cost requirement, but works great.
    Second That !!! Its better to save a little longer if you have to to get the "good" stuff than buy gear based on price. Take it from someone who has spent a lot more money upgrading to get where I'm at now. First thing you need to do is go to Shugemery YouTube videos where he explains in a very funny way everything beginners need to know about hammock camping. http://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0
    After watching all his "how to" videos, go right to Dutchware Gear Website and order some basics to get started. Just make sure you check out Shugs videos first. If not you might get overwhelmed looking at Dutch's site. Hope this helps. I've only been hammock camping for over a year now and the friends in the community and on this forum have been a great help. Especially when you meet some of these cottage vendors in person that you buy your gear through. Very friendly and helpful!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    Go get yourself 50' of Amsteel ($10.50) and a Pair of 6' tree straps ($6.40). These are available at dutchwaregear.com for very reasonable prices.

Make you a ridgeline and a pair of whoopie slings out of the Amsteel. This is VERY easy to do and the instructions to do so can be found all over this forum and Youtube. With 50' of Amsteel I was able to make 2 6' whoopie slings, an adjustable ridgeline and a pair of 4' dogbones. This is all you need to hang your hammock and it's a simple, lightweight, compact and adjustable setup.

If you don't know how to hook the slings to the straps, that info is also easy to find on the forum and Youtube. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by muckypops; 03-05-2015 at 08:39. Reason: OCD

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I made a couple of suspensions with whoopies but the last was a UCR and I think I like it better.

• + New Posts