Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Singlenest Vs Double for a single :-p

Hi all, I'm new to Hammocking but I'm quite excited about jumping into it all. Wanting to start off simple I am planing on buying just an ENO single or double nest this evening and seeing how I take to it. Main purpose for now is simply to lounge in and out of house and a resting spot during breaks when traveling for paintball, not quite outright camping or all night sleeping YET. So it while I have a girlfriend most of it's use is going to be me and me alone. With that said, how would you recommend a singlenest to a double for comfort? Too much material for the double? I also heard the single isn't as comfortable when it comes to sitting it in sideways like a chair or swing and the double might be a better option. Ideally, I would like to lay and converse with others lounging in chairs or whatnot while I am in the hammock so too much material on the sides would be cumbersome, if even laying diagonally I wouldn't be able to overcome that. I am 5'10 and about 200 lbs.

Simple things but they make a difference to me for the uses I have in store. Any input is appreciated!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My vote, get the Double.

The excess fabric is easy enough to deal with by repositioning your body. Putting your head on, or near, the edge will hold down the fabric just fine. One side will be blocked by fabric regardless of which model you choose, so better to get the more flexible of the two. Since weight isn't an issue for you, then the Double can be heard saying "Pick me! Pick me"!

Give it few runs and you'll find several good positions for chatting with friends. The ENO style hammocks are my favorite for lounging; easily. I think you've made a great choice for your current needs.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

+1 on the Double ... Completely agree with Cannibal ... Hmm ... should I seek help?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    recommend a singlenest

I have both. The double has too much fabric (see other ENO threads currently discussing this fact). I love my ENO single, and the double has enough fabric to cocoon in it totally. If you want to peapod, it's great. If you want to sit up in it, lie in it, etc., it's no better than my Single nest. It's slightly heavier (more fabric), and my wife and I (combined total weight = 300 lbs), no issue in single nest. Love it. Double just has plenty of favric. Some claim can get a batter asym lay in double--I don't see it.

NOte that the weight limit is the same on both single and double, so all you gain is extra fabric that will be, in my opinion, truly in your face when you lay on it alone (which si most common).

That's my take on it from using both. See other threads, exp the one about how to cut off and stictch the fabric, if you buy the double. C ya

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    i hang in a double and love it. there is a bit of excess fabric but its nice when i sit perpendicular to ridgeline as a sort of chair. the extra fabric is also nice when the sun's creeping in the perfect position to hit you right in the retina- makes for a nice sun shade.
    As cool kayaker pointed out there is enough fabric to completely roll up in, which is nice as a pseudo-security blanket and holds in some heat come winter-time

Thanks all! I think I am going to go with the double but I appreciate all the opinions. If I find that the fabric is too much I did notice the mod threads so I think I have a fallback. Can't wait!

I am not sure if this is against the forum rules so I didn't make this it's own thread but the local shop I plan on buying from has an extremely liberal price matching policy. Would anyone have noticed some good deals floating around the net for a doublenest by chance? I can print it off and they will honor it. Thanks much!

Nevermind that last point. Froogle is AWESOME... 51 bucks for a double :-)

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    MS--please post a photo when you get the double. It's always fun to see hammockers pea podded into theri new oversized rigs.

Just kidding (well, not really, but...). Enjoy, ENOs are great, tons of fun. And although you'll likely not want to tear it up with a cut mod (and all the stitching and stuff that goes with it, unless your second hobby is as a quilter), you can still use it with your partner while you await the arrival of your second package: a single nest.

CK1

Feedback, I've already been criticized by my girlfriend for taking this weekend we swore to devote to cleaning up the house (and it does need it bad) and turning it into a "Search for every possible spot to hang the hammock and lay around" extravaganza. Fine by me :-)

Turns out EVERY opinion was right one way or another. The double has great versatilty for my lounging needs and I think it has trumped the single (though don't know due to not having one) in the sideways chair sitting position. It also covered my like a dang pea pod until late today when I finally learned how to lay off center. Now there is no issues with the extra material but it takes more setup and time for it to be that way, a single would be more intuitive to lay the way I want, I believe. I think for the home I'll use this and eventually I'll get a single or pro for the road... you called it CK1 :-) but I am definitely set for the next month or two. I dig these slap strap pros, too.. I have already experienced the sagging, but have just been moving the clip one notch up after an hour or so to compensate. I didn't get the knot tying badge, they gave me the big boy velcro kit in scouts so the more simple the better until I need to step it up when I finally outright camp in this thing. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Magus Shadow, I know what u mean about scouting trees

You're very diplomatic, MS. :-)

That's great that you have it! You and your girlfriend will have much joy in it. Sure, many get a singlenest, too. The single does make a wonderful chair for one or two (still rated at 400 lbs.).

I have to say, I felt the same was as you about the straps—still do if I'm using them for a couple hours or less—but now am with the other's on HF. There's even a slapstrap thread, which I am sure you've read. The many 'mockers on here are right, they are just too springy—especially if wet—and too heavy (unless your driving in your car, where it doesn't matter) when there are so many inexpensive, more lightweight and better alternatives.

You'll see when you're in the 'mock for a longer stretch of time, as I discovered this summer, the straps stretch much more than you think, so you end up pulling them very tight to compensate “in advance” for the stretch you know will be coming, and then the hammock is too straight, not the proper and most comfortable hang angle. So, you jump up in there, literally, because it's stretched so taut between the trees, and mounting your Nest is like trying to jump into the top bunk bed without a ladder. Then you read a book and drink a Michelob, and when you get up to pee, you come back and try to puuuullll it back to the next loop one foot away, your arms shaking from tugging so hard to just barely make it. But you get it hooked and say to yourself, “See, I did it! This slapstrap are alright , and even though the slapstraps being the lousiest piece of hammocking gear is the universal mantra on hammock forums—hell, it's the one thing everyone agrees on—I must be the one guy that loves these bad boys”. And you leap back up into your hammock and do the same process over again. And again. (You weren't even aware how prophetic you were, MS, when your original post stated, "Hi all, I'm new to Hammocking but I'm quite excited about jumping into it all." Indeed!)

Issue is, as many mention, if you're overnighting in it, doing this fancy ritual 2-3 times overnight and in the pitch dark, especially if you have to get out from under any tarp you have and stand in the mud, in the downpour—well, let's just say at that moment, you'd give your left nut for some amsteel rope and a couple polyester straps. I suppose if you have a dinky ENO tarp you won't mind adjusting the strap in the rain as much; you'll already be soaked.

Hey, MS, check on youtube and search “professor hammock primer” and see Grizz's videos on cord suspension, and web suspension. They're jam packed with information. I'm fortunate that Grizz lives a few miles from me, so I already have 50 feet each of amsteel, polystrap and about ten climbing rated carabiners in a jumbo blue IKEA bag waiting to tap his friendship and advice to set up my hammocks. I think I'm going to owe him a huge breakfast over this one! I'll pass along how he tells me to handle my two ENOs.

For casual lounging, ENOs rock, and you seem like a nice guy that's only about two months behind me on the learning curve. Some of the others on here have decades of experience. We're in a good place, MS. Cheers!
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-08-2010 at 10:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast