DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

ENO Current River hang

Thought I would post this here instead of trip reports to give an idea of camping in an ENO system. This week took my 2 sons and 2 of their friends to Current River, the nation's first National Scenic Riverway in Missouri. We had one large tent but figured I would rather hang than camp with 5 sweaty teenagers. Was concerned about finding the right trees growing on the gravel bar. I've been float camping for 20 years and know you sometimes have to take what's available due to the time of day or the number of people on the river. We ended up taking a somewhat muddy spot across from a cliff we use to jump into the river. Only suitable trees were just a little close together, probably about 12-13 feet. Bug net just fit. I got set up quick so I could help the boys with the tent (all those poles reminded me why I want to hang!). Made the mistake of leaving the bug net unzipped, also could not stake out all the tarp points, had to use trees for some and ground for others. Had a really tough time getting a good lay with the trees so close. Also discovered either the bug net was full of mosquitoes waiting for me or they were biting through the net. Forgot to snug up the exit holes on the net too, guessing the skeeters found this out. My back had welts all over it as did my arms. I used a North Face bag with no pad underneath, did much better when I got in the bag, even the lay felt much better but that had to wait for the temp to drop. Could be because the net was stretched kind of tight against the hammock. Found the Slap Straps to be a big disadvantage here, in fact had to move one to a nearby tree which threw things out of whack with the tarp and net. Needed one more closer loop. I think this will be my last trip with the ENO straps. Near morning the wind picked up and it seemed like a storm was approaching. Guess the trees were moving and I felt at least 2 jolts as the suspension slipped. Took the system down before the rain came so can't comment on how it shed water, but I've been through storms before and the tarp did great. Have to say the system packed really small for river camping and had I been by myself I would have found a much better spot to hang. You compromise looking for flat spots for the tent, hard enough to find a good gravel bar. Everyone was super impressed with the system though, had a lot of floaters admire it. Will warn too, it's really easy to to leave your straps behind, always do one last look around before we leave mostly to get other people's trash and saw my straps still hanging there. Summing up this experience, great potential for the ENO system on the river. But I think the bug treated version or doing this yourself, plus an ideal set of trees, plus closing the zipper when you're not in it, plus something under you will keep the inevitable bites away.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Love the review. I used to go on float trips down the Current river as a kid. Fond memories. Yeah, the slap straps work ok, but once you get new straps and a way to cinch up your suspension without depending on the slap-strap loops, you'll see it's just SO much easier, and there won't be as much stretching of the straps.

Thanks for the report. I'd love to see pics of your trip, just to see the old stomping grounds.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Smack in the middle of South Carolina, the Lowcountry in Denmark.
    Hammock
    ENO double is the best.
    Tarp
    ENO tarp works.
    Insulation
    ENO Ember works.
    Suspension
    ENO pro straps.
    I've used my ENO system about 40 times the past two summers mostly at Beach State Parks here in South Carolina. My pro straps, the Dry Fly, and the Double Nest have served me well. Use bug spray with deet before you climb in. I'm glad to have this ENO stuff. Add the camp pillow and the lights. Then you have a hanging party.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OK NC, just for you here's some pics. Sorry no hammock in any of these, it was too dark by the time I got her set up and I pulled it down quick knowing rain was coming in the morning. We floated from Akers Ferry to Pulltite, had planned to go all the way to Round Spring but decided it would be more fun to hang out at the cliff. Don, I plan to add those lights sometime. Wondering what it's like camping with a pillow, I keep forgetting mine.

This is Cave Spring

Outside of Cave Spring

A leap of faith? maybe, but it's plenty deep underneath. Climb up is the hard part

This is what it doesn't get any better than

That's me coming up from my jump

Lots of caves, believe this is called Rock House Cave

Pretty river and a nice summer day

You are always welcome back!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Awesome pics. Looks fun although I probably couldn't do the jump

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wow, thanks for posting those. I need to get back over there sometime. I did a trip down the Huzzah most recently, but would like to get back to the Current sometime soon.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's a vid of the cliff jump, we've done some even higher near Van Buren. Not a big deal, in the morning a father and his 2 daughters floated by, the girls were all over this jump and neither one was over 10!

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Big Jim! Don't know how you may feel about permethrin (there are several threads in the forum,) but it has worked for me. I got skeeter bit through the bottom and sides of my ENO DN once, but since I've soaked it in permethrin, the bugs have not, well, bugged me.

BTW, those pics are great - looks like fun!

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been reading those. I tend to stay away from chemicals if I can, but that might be necessary on the river.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

I'm with you on avoiding the chemicals, Jim.

Hey, great trip report. I wish you had a couple photos of the ENo setup, but hey...at least we have your words. Thanks for posting. The ENOs are cool--some say better options abound, but I like the ENOs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast