Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Making my first down UQ(for AT SoBo Thru)

Ok, here is what I have come up with so far.

I'm shooting for 42'' wide by 52'' long. I'm thinking that I can have the baffles be 2.5'' and add an oz of overfill to the entire quilt.

I don't know what would be good for the temp range i'm looking for... I'm assuming 25-60 mainly. I know this is a huge range i'm looking at, but i'd prefer to do it with one underquilt.

Is 2.5 '' loft good enough? I figured with overfill it would be perfect to take me the whole trail.

This will be used with a 3'' top quilt, if that makes any difference.

EDIT: This will be a Southbound hike of the Appalachian Trail.
    Last edited by Edvvard; 08-07-2010 at 11:27. Reason: forgot to add info

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Edvvard View Post
    Ok, here is what I have come up with so far.

I'm shooting for 42'' wide by 52'' long. I'm thinking that I can have the baffles be 2.5'' and add an oz of overfill to the entire quilt.

I don't know what would be good for the temp range i'm looking for... I'm assuming 25-60 mainly. I know this is a huge range i'm looking at, but i'd prefer to do it with one underquilt.

Is 2.5 '' loft good enough? I figured with overfill it would be perfect to take me the whole trail.

This will be used with a 3'' top quilt, if that makes any difference.

EDIT: This will be a Southbound hike of the Appalachian Trail.

There's a lot of math that goes into figuring out what height baffle, how much down, the rating of the down, how large the baffle and you end up with a quilt rated at such & such!! But in reality, like when you're out on the side of the mountain with a storm coming in, the math will roll down the hill and leave you chilly. Make your quilt but unless you know absolutely that you are a warm sleeper, I would make the quilt to be able to handle a bit lower temps. Not because you're expecting lower temps but because you might be a cold sleeper. You wont know until you do some testing in low temps. My bottom quilt is thicker than my top quilt. (my UQ has 4"+ overfill and I've slept toasty at 20degrees, I'm a cold sleeper).
    Hopefully some of the others here that have slept in the 25 degree range that you're talking about will chime in to report how thick their UQ's are.
    I don't know if one UQ will handle a range from 25-60. I do know that mine wont, it starts getting to warm at about 45. My sleep system consist of 1 set of summer and 1 set of winter TQ & UQ and a silk sheet for summer. And depending on the temp ranges, I'll mix and match all my quilts and pack the ones I need.
    did I mention testing...

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    2.5" should be good enough. However you can bring a small pad for you feet and if it gets real cold in Maine you can move that pad to your torso and put your pack under your feet. The shell weighs so much and the insulation is so light I would go a little more on the overstuff.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I will be headed North next year. Hope we cross paths.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I will be headed North next year. Hope we cross paths.

Bat
    Would be great if I were doing this next year. haha. Unfortunately we are waiting 2 years

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Gosh, maybe I will have to do it twice
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you baffle to 2.5" and overstuff to 3" (which will probably take more than one ounce overstuff), you'll probably be plenty warm at 25F. And plenty warmer at 60F! 3" might be a bit much for 60F, but if you hang it more loosely in summer so there are air gaps between the hammock and UQ, it might be fine.

Another option would be to make 2" baffles and overstuff to 2.5" or so, then use the CCF pad as backup for when it gets cold. That way when it warms up in summer, you can drop the pad.

You're planning to use a 3" TQ in summer? Really? Try this...your house is probably about 70F. Put 3" of blankets on your bed and sleep under all of them tonight. Throw in some extra humidity and see how comfortable you think that will be on the trail...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    luckily... i have tested the top quilt

I have a big down quilt That i sleep with habitually. A gift from my mom when i was younger :P

Anyway, the thing is 2.5'' thick across the whole deal. (i won't cannibalize the down from it). I sleep with it nightly and I'm very comfortable. Now that you mention it maybe I will try the 2 and overstuff to 2.5

How do you know how much to use to overstuff, though? Do you just do the basic math?
    2.5 x length x width?

Been sleeping with the windows open as well due to the heat. I think it's been a consistent 70 degrees this summer at night for the most part :/

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Edvvard View Post

How do you know how much to use to overstuff, though? Do you just do the basic math?
    2.5 x length x width?
    H x L x W / down rating = # of ounces of down

When I made my quilts, especially my UQ, because each baffle size was different (not the Height but the Length & Width), I ended up needing to calulate each baffle individually to determine how much down to put into each one. Then I added about 15% more.

What rating of down are you using? The higher the rating, the less down you'll need.

Images
    I'm unsure of which so far. I can get the 750 from Kooka bay... I was thinking of ordering from Perfect Trees and getting the 800 fp, but it doesn't look like he has it in stock at the moment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast