Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Single

Video: View my set up ... looking for suggestions.

We've been enjoying some lovely rainy days in AZ this summer which has given me a great oppertunity to work on my rainy day set up. Last week, I took a two minute video with my ENO single and cheapo tarp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSijs8ef_2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSijs8ef_2s

When striking out the tarp, I usually set it on the diamond and tie off from the gromet directly to the tree. If it rains, I add a 'ridgeline' via trucker's hitch. Main question: Is this a good approach? Is there another method that I should consider/learn? The tarp is rectangular, hoping that I'm getting the most out of it (tight set/coverage) when it rains.

Overall, I love learning new knots but in the end, I realize that it's only the Larks Head (or overhand knot) that I use along with the trucker's hitch.

Second question: What other knots should I learn to progress this set up?

Note: I've struggled with Prusik knot and popular hitchs that I can't figure out. The effort is there, lacking result. If I should learn other knots, I will. Simply frustrated with the Amsteel Blue re: Prusik knot but love it otherwise.

Looking for better ideas/different ideas. I would love better gear (improvements coming); however, better knowledge is the key (IMO).

Thx for looking.

zul

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Zul, your set set up looks pretty good to me. But I would like to make one observation. Most folks here on the forum use tree straps in one form or another. While the rope that you use works perfectly well. It does have the potential to cause tree damage. You might want to consider switching to tree straps. In addition to being more environmentally friendly they will also save some weight in your set up.
    Terry

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Is this a car camping setup or backpacking setup?

Hammock
    ENO Single
    "Copy That" on the straps. Was thinking about going that direction last week. I am all for environmentally friendly and for a few bucks, consider it done. Thanks for the input.

The goal of my setup is backpacking. I spend time car camping and day camping but mostly prefer the pack.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    The way you have your tarp going, you could probably benefit from doing a continuous ridge-line and just put it under your tarp. It would save you some rigging.

Of course to do that you gotta learn the prusik.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    If your goals are backpacking w/ that rig you need to 86 the heavy duty 3/8 inch rope your using for the tarp ridge line and hammock suspension. For the hammock suspension use woopie's, or straps with buckles or rings. You probally have 2 lbs in ropes. Read the suspension forum for some styles that might suit your liking.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the trucker's hitch every chance I get...it's a great knot. I used to use it on my tarps every time until I started using the figure-9s. One slight change...I have a MacCat with D-rings so instead of tying the loop in the line I just used the D-ring as the loop. But it's still a slipknot on the loop, just like the trucker's hitch.

I even used them on the corner tie-outs...then I hurt my wrist so I had to get 9s for the corners as well, just to make setup quicker and less painful for my 7-day hike.

So you may find a way that suits you better, but personally I love the trucker's hitch!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ENO Single
    So I get a 1.5 or 2 inch strap. Save weight and impact on the tree. Cost is a few bucks. Perfect.

Most trees in this area max out around 20 to 30 inch diameter with a few at 35 inches. Question: How long should each tree strap measure? I'm guessing 100 inches each? Purchase 200 inches of strap (cut in half for 2 straps) with my patented larks head/overhand knot and I'm off and running ... I guess??

Thx. Great help thus far. Heading out tomorrow, hoping for some more rain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with Sgt.Rock. A continuous ridgeline with Prusik loops for your tarp would save some rigging and allow you to centre your tarp over your hammock more easily. Good set up though. Looks comfy and dry.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Zul I suggest POLYESTER straps. POLYESTER has the most strength and the least stretch.
    I avoid stretch at every chance I get.
    Tom

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast