Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle

So do you think hammock is light weight ?

Ok I got bit I am a hammock hanger now, but with a question I have been trying to drop my base weights as it comes to backpacking I used to use a 4 lb tent with fly poles etc and now a WB Traveler and etowah 8x10 tarp for summer a WB superfly for winter .Bug Net Now the shelter weights are similar but now the fun part is now the need for basically two sleeping bags a UQ for under the hammock and the TQ for on top there is added weight compared to sleeping bag alone yes you can figure a pad ex. my BA air pad 2 lbs then you figure straps cordage for both hammock and tarp this can add up so my question slash observation can a hammock hanger actually be light weight . I realize I can make a lighter hammock but I am 6' 235 lbs and want to be able to lay flat and not stretch theres cuben fiber but suspensive must be woven with gold lol. I am not looking back I like the hanging life now just curious of everyone elses take on the subject

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I could go lighter if I lost the hammock. But not by much. And it isn't worth it to me.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I used to think I had a lightweight setup hammockingwise until Wisenber invited me into the Citico and I saw Sgt Rock's setup. Now I'm just sick, plain sick.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I could drop about 8 oz if I really tried. I'm not sleeping on a 1/4" CCF torso pad every night.

So, even if it were an extra 2 lbs in my pack, the sleep I get is worth an extra 6 lbs b/c I have that much more energy to carry my pack the next day.

Hammocking can be lightweight if you want it to.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Your still pretty lightweight MedicineMan. I'm starting to see all the parts come into place to go very light by buying the hammock parts.

Tarp: Zpacks, Mountain Laurel, and OES are making tarps as light as mine or at least close. I think you have an MLD.
    Hammock: GT Nano7
    Suspension: www.whooieslings.com dynaglide, and I think he makes the straps as well.
    Ridge-line and tarp lines: Zpacks 1.25mm line.
    Hammock Ridge-Line: Arrowhead Equipment 1.75mm cord.

About the only thing missing at this point is someone making the bug sock the way I use it. I think some DIY people are gearing up to offer it on a one-at-a-time basis. I've ordered some light no-seeum net from thru-hiker to see if I can make a real bug net LOL.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It depends what you are comparing it to. I think most tent are easy to beat if they come with a self inflating pad. Bivy sacs are pretty close. Just camping under a tarp with a ccf pad and the tarp will win. With new materials hammocks are becoming even lighter but I guess so are the other forms of camping. I think it is a light weight way to go but the other advantages are what make me a hammocker. Site selection and comfort is why I lay above the ground. Oh and I hate putting away a wet tent that is all muddy. For some reason a wet tarp doesn't bother me.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    JustJeffs right--comfort and energay will alway trump a couple of pounds.
    S.Rock--you are right, the truly lightweight bugnet is an opportunity for a cottage.
    Dutch--speaking of ads, my favorite will be knowing if I've got two trees then i've got a lazyboy!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a 9 oz NeoAir short that is the most comfortable pad I've had at that weight. If you know you're in a shelter every night, a NeoAir might be worth it. So yeah, ground camping technology is getting lighter as well while they increase comfort. But I'd had to put that on the ground w/o a thick groundsheet, and I don't like the mice and snoring in shelters. So hammocking still wins for me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    When I was on the LT this summer I saw a guy sleeping in the shelter with a 9-10 pds base weight. He was useing a 1/4 pad and one of those silver emergency blankets to keep warm. Every time he would toss or turn I heard that wrinkling from pretty far away and felt bad for the people in the shelter. My point is that you can always go lighter but at what expense. IMHO the weight of the hammock TQ/UQ woopie slings etc is worth the weight for a great night sleep. I wake up with more energy, mabey hike a few miles less then others with lighter packs. But for me thats just more fun time in the woods.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well don't take my observation and question wrong I think the hammock will be the norm for now on with me I was just seeing how I am back to trying to lighten up . I do like jeff's quote that he get a better nights sleep for lugging his pack around makes sense.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast