Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exped Wallcreeper

It finally got cool enough here for a little hammock/bag testing. I bought an Exped Wallcreeper this year as it was starting to warm up and hadn't been able to test it. I spent a comfortable night last night in a HH Expedition on one Oware pad while wearing the Wallcreeper synthetic bag. It got down to 44F and I never snugged the hood down. The bag is rated for 40F. I went to sleep with my head laying on top of the hood. I was wearing smartwool running socks, REI zip-off pants, and a tee shirt. I was probably too warm for part of the night, when I got up I could feel just a hint of perspiration on top of the pad, the bag did not feel damp. I look forward to seeing how low I can go with this system.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I didn't realize until you mentioned it that Exped made a synthetic version of the Wallcreeper.

I wonder, did you consider the Speer Frogsac before you bought the Exped Walcreeper? They seem very very similar, but the Speer is much cheaper. Are there any differences that aren't apparent?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Sparrow, yes I did consider the Speer Frogsac. If I remember correctly it was only available in one (large) size. I'm 5'8" and the regular sized Wallcreeper regular fits me perfiectly, in fact, if I were any taller the reg would be too short. Also the Wallcreeper has more loft than the Frogsac. Also, the Frogsac doesn't have arm holes which makes it less viable as campwear and more of a pain to enter and exit the HH with. I don't remember if the Frogsac has a full zipper, the Wallcreeper does, which of course means that it can simply be layed upon and therefore usable on warm summer nights.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    I am eagerly awaiting your reports on this bag.

I am looking for something synthetic/ and wearable for winter
    hammocking. My simex panda hammock may play a part of that
    system, ... but I have not had enough nights in that yet to
    determine for sure.

I definitely know the limits of my FF Rock wren. Still my holy grail
    of bags. But I just don't like down as part of a winter rig.
    Its too risky, and accidents happen..... especially to me.

I really want to hear everything about your wallcreeper.
    Funds are tight so this winter I will be using the Gortex bag/bivy
    you traded me. Too big to pack on my back, but I will pull it on a
    pulk sled. Have used it 5 or 6 times already. Been great.

I will be paying close attention to see what you use to extend the
    temp rating of the wallcreeper.

I recently spent another night in the HH Expedition on one 1/4 in Oware pad wearing the PL Wallcreeper. There was a light breeze, 3-5mph, no tarp. The low temp was 39 F. I was comfortably cool wearing running shorts and a tee shirt. I think I was near the lower limit for this bag without wearing some more clothing. The bag is rated for 45F and the 1/4in pad works for me down to that temp, any lower and a thicker pad is required. I plan to test further with two pads and clothing to see what the practical limit for this system is.

If I were making an extended trip in even a warm climate I would carry the following clothing:
    Silk weight underwear top and bottom
    Mid weight capilene top and bottom
    Wool watch cap
    Thin PP balaclava
    Synthetic fill vest

I'm hoping that wearing all the above will keep me comfortable down to freezing or slightly below. Breathable raingear could be worn in an emergency.

This may be a viable system for AT thru hikers with start date around Apr 01.

The plusses of this system:
    Bag was bought on sale for $100.
    Oware pads (2) cost $45 IIRC
    You have a bag and a pad to use on the ground (NOOOOOO!)

The EMS Velocity 35 has similar specs to the Walcreaper/ FrogSac but does not open up to become campwear. it is however, possibility one of the lightest bas, being a tad over 1 lb.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    had a down one and sold it,a bit confining for me so i sold it neo
    the matrix has you

yes, the Velocity is rather confining, especially along the face, it makes a nice snug fit, where my old bag was lig enough to fit my arms through so they were not in the bag if i wanted to cool off (I am such a warm sleeper)

Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    yes, the Velocity is rather confining, especially along the face, it makes a nice snug fit, where my old bag was lig enough to fit my arms through so they were not in the bag if i wanted to cool off (I am such a warm sleeper)
    I'm 5'8" and 170#, if I were broader shouldered that bag would be a bit too snug for me. I also bought the regular length and if I were any taller it would be too short.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    The EMS Velocity 35 has similar specs to the Walcreaper/ FrogSac but does not open up to become campwear. it is however, possibility one of the lightest bas, being a tad over 1 lb.
    Website lists it at 26 oz - there are several bags at/below that range. I have a Sierra Designs Wicked Fast at 26 oz that I'm pretty satisfied with...the half zip limits the upper temp range somewhat, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast