Has anyone had rope failure using a carabiner and rings suspension

I am using Carabiners and rings for securing the hammock to the tree straps, ala trekingnut's video, and one of the rope's covering split leaving only the fibrous white inner threads holding the rope together.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    I am using Carabiners and rings for securing the hammock to the tree straps, ala trekingnut's video, and one of the rope's covering split leaving only the fibrous white inner threads holding the rope together.
    It has been noted as a problem by some people. are you using an HH hammock? it really depends on the diameter of your cord and the diameter of your rappel rings as well.

Sorry to hear it happened anyway.... i have said many times that people must be careful but thats not going to make you feel any better...

I personally have never had a problem.... it might be luck of the draw and it might be the way people do it, ive no idea....

hope you get it all fixed up soon.....

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    i have added a warning to the video that you must try it out first and look at how it affects your rope and not to use it with any ultralight models or thin spectra chord!!!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Today I set up and tested the HH ULBA using the Garda Hitch method that Trekkingnut has demonstrated in his videos.

The stock HH ULBA uses a suspension system of very thin (about 1/8"+ dia.) polyester sheathed 1,450-lb test Spectra line. I could not find any definitive info on the HF site about how this particular line behaved in the Garda ring system. The purpose of the test was to see if there are any issues with this setup combination.

Equipment:
    Hammock: Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ #3 zipper mod and no rainfly
    Carabiners: C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 Wiregate carabiners
    Rings: SMC Aluminum Descending Rings, 1.5" ID
    Test load (me): 150#, 5'-9" H

Finding:
    Works fine but requires care to avoid excessive line wear and slippage. For safety, suspension line condition should be inspected before and after each setup of the hammock.

Summary:
    The setup was as described by Trekkingnut: Tree straps around tree at conventional height. Carabiner clipped through both loops at the end of each strap with the narrow end down. Two SMC rings clipped into each carabiner. Hammock suspension line was run with one loop through both rings and a second loop passing between the rings.

Each free end of the suspension line was pulled through the rings to make the tension adjustment and seemed to lock fine. I did notice that it took a slight effort to pull the line through using only the free end, but found that if you use both hands, one to pull the free end while the other relieves tension in the line to the hammock, it flows through the rings smoothly with minimal friction.

At this point I sat in the hammock to see if there would be any slippage. There was not initially, but after I got up and readjusted the lines a few times, I did get some slippage. Once, I did not tug the adjustment tight at the rings on one end of the hammock and got a semi-fast ride to the ground.

I put a single half-hitch with a quick release on each end and again loaded the hammock. Again, no slippage initially, but after getting up and down a few times, minor slippage did occur at one end.

I put two half-hitches on each end and experienced no further slippage.

The system adjusts effortlessly and quickly as advertised, provided you use both hands to feed the line through the rings to minimize friction.

At this point I examined the Spectra and found noticeable wear on the polyester sheathing in the area where it had made contact with the rings. The sheathing was not penetrated but showed distinct surface fraying, with a spot two that looked like heat was the culprit. This was after maybe 15 minutes of repeated adjusting and loading the system. It seems that adjusting the line by pulling only on the free end, plus the few slippages I experienced under load, heated the line up by friction enough to cause the damage.

I concluded that unless you take care to adjust this system to minimize friction between the line and rings, it can quickly wear the sheathing and eventually compromise the line.

The Spectra has a stranded rather than solid core and I did not see any significant crushing of the line where it was clamped by the rings. Just a little deformation which should have no ill effect.

The SMC ring seemed to provide a reasonable bending radius for the small line size. A larger line size might help the problem since it would provide more surface contact area with the rings. Don't know the actual diameter of the ring stock.

Conclusion:
    I am going to use the system in the field for a while and see how it does, taking the precautions I describe above. The fact that I could cause visible wear on the lines with 15 minutes of fooling around gives me some concern. I would expect to have to replace the suspension lines eventually because of the unavoidable friction needed to make the hitch work. As long as the sheathing is intact, albeit worn, I would not expect a problem.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

someone elses review, please take note!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you're using Spectra, like on a Hennessy, then the sheath's purpose is to protect the Spectra strands on the inside. If those are exposed, I'd stop using the rings. You can put a new sheath on it to protect it, or if you don't stress the sheath anymore then you might be able to use duct tape for a temporary fix.

It's really not hard to replace the cords on a Hennessy, though...that's what I'd recommend.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll be replacing the cord. I'll just have to decide what will be the best type of cord to replace the stock spectra with.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd use either amsteel or spyderline.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post

I had the same thing happen to me with my HH stock suspension cord while using descending rings. I switched over to whoopieslings and am very happy with the results. See the following video (# 1 post) at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=13116&page=3 Ken did a great job on the video showing just how easy it is to convert from stock HH cordage to amsteel blue/whoopieslings. Take a look over the full thread if you're interested. There are some fine folks on this HF site that can supply you with the amsteel blue cordage if you like it, or you can get it from http://www.reddenmarine.com/amsteelblue/ . By the way, amsteelblue is the name of the cord. You have colors other than blue to choose from if you desire. 7/64 cord is what I and a lot of others use.

Also, see Grizz's video (particularly at the 6:00 to 7:22 minute marks) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpndtQKWH4 about 1 way to connect whoopiesling to tree straps.

Hope this helps.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

• + New Posts