Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    This is all great and exciting, BUT... without insulation it seems that this super light setup is only useful at pretty warm night time temps. Maybe no lower than 75 degrees? What's the lightest weight of an insulation system that'd take you down to the lower 40's or upper 30's?
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Eno single nest
    Insulation
    Multimat
    Suspension
    Eno slapstrap pro
    Hey, I'm new to hammock camping and I bought an eno singlenest w/slapstrap pros and I'm just using paracord and a tarp for a ridge line and weather protection. Is that a decent setup??

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    This is all great and exciting, BUT... without insulation it seems that this super light setup is only useful at pretty warm night time temps. Maybe no lower than 75 degrees? What's the lightest weight of an insulation system that'd take you down to the lower 40's or upper 30's?
    I had a Grand Trunks UL hammock with whoopie slings, 3/4 IX Baby Orca UQ and Z rest pad under me, Z Packs cuben tarp above. LHBR IX for a TQ

hammock 10 oz
    UQ 8 oz
    Z rest 10 oz
    cuben tarp 6 oz
    LHBR TQ 14 oz

Total: 3 lbs exactly

I was in 37-42F rain for 2 out of 3 days on a hike with this set up and did just fine. The last day the sun came out and it got up in the 60s and was amazing.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I'm just under 4 lbs. with my HHHL with under cover and under pad and a 15 oz down TQ. I haven't tried this set up in the 35 deg. range, but I don't think I'd be comfortable. Do you think an IX UQ saves weight without giving up warmth?
    Last edited by CrankyOldGuy; 07-28-2011 at 20:53.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Great setup! Backpacking Light had a big discussion about how you couldn't get this low with a Hammock. They did use the cuben tarp and grand trunk but it wasn't as light as this. I still love BPL.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Apart from a slight fear of claustrophobia in a bug net - especially if I needed to exit quickly and I'm looking for the darned toggle/hook/cordlock, I watched Sgt. Rock's video (in the old thread) at the beginning and am thinking...

with all the time it takes to push the bugnet down, get in, the wriggle it up until you can close it...he would have a 100 skeeters trapped inside!

also, I had a Byers Moskito traveler with white netting (hard to see out) and one with black (definitely the way to go), so ya'll might think of that.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I've got my Nano 7 and whoopies. I'm hoping that my tarp and UQ show up in time for a trip I have planned next week. This thing wraps up into the tiniest little package! It's less than half the size of my HH and if it weighted any less, it's float away!

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Apart from a slight fear of claustrophobia in a bug net - especially if I needed to exit quickly and I'm looking for the darned toggle/hook/cordlock, I watched Sgt. Rock's video (in the old thread) at the beginning and am thinking...

with all the time it takes to push the bugnet down, get in, the wriggle it up until you can close it...he would have a 100 skeeters trapped inside!

also, I had a Byers Moskito traveler with white netting (hard to see out) and one with black (definitely the way to go), so ya'll might think of that.
    I'm wondering if there isn't a better bugnet format than one that has to be pulled shut at the ends, since like you said it's awkward and gives bugs lots of time to follow you in. Probably just having an integrated net with a zipper is the simplest thing. Or what about adding a zipper to the bug sock so you can reach just below the hammock, unzip it to step out, hop out, and then zip it back up?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    I'm wondering if there isn't a better bugnet format than one that has to be pulled shut at the ends, since like you said it's awkward and gives bugs lots of time to follow you in. Probably just having an integrated net with a zipper is the simplest thing. Or what about adding a zipper to the bug sock so you can reach just below the hammock, unzip it to step out, hop out, and then zip it back up?
    You could check out the Hug net that Dejoha came up with, if you want UL and easy to use.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast