Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    How many extra layers & type?
    On the last night of my Olympic trip, with temps in the very low 40s, I decided to leave my bag in it's sack, inside the hammock. I slept in my light weight long johns and Bozeman Mountain Works Cocoon medium thickness 14 oz hooded jacket and 8 oz pants. (Polarguard delta). With a SuperShelter on the bottom. It was just almost, but not, quite enough. I went to sleep in just the longjohns about 10pm, and was actually a bit hot. I woke up having to pee and cold on top about midnight. I put the jacket and pants on and was fine untill I got woke up at 7am by the noise of friends stirring about. I noticed I was just a tad cold on top, but it was time to get up anyway. Also, every body else ( including tenters) complained that it seemed extra cold that night.

So I was good for at least 6 or 7 hours as the low got down to almost 40*, with no bag. I' sure this would be fine for me to at least 50* with full comfort for 8 hours plus, and the addition of more clothes or a light bag would get me a lot lower.

Images
    Great insight into how different hanging is than being on the ground....

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Great insight into how different hanging is than being on the ground....
    I agree....maybe I should change my name to "Still Learning"...
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

I really am a rookie regarding hammocks, been a ground guy always. My HH explorer ultralight is on the way. So I'm trying to get as much info as possible to shorten my learning curve. I like late fall and winter camping in the southern Appalachians.

My question regarding underquilts is what about when it's 35-45 degrees and cold driving rain. Do these down underquilts not get wet, and lose the insulating value, on the outside of these hammocks?

Sorry if I've totaly missed the boat here.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    I really am a rookie regarding hammocks, been a ground guy always. My HH explorer ultralight is on the way. So I'm trying to get as much info as possible to shorten my learning curve. I like late fall and winter camping in the southern Appalachians.

My question regarding underquilts is what about when it's 35-45 degrees and cold driving rain. Do these down underquilts not get wet, and lose the insulating value, on the outside of these hammocks?

Sorry if I've totaly missed the boat here.
    Not with good tarp that has been well hung for storm protection....YMMV.

Welcome to the hanging gang...

Pan
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 10-16-2007 at 06:59.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Pan is right on about the tarp. I've spent the summer dealing with thunderstorms while hiking and I can't remember getting wet when my tarp was set correctly. These have not been little storms; I've dealt with 40+ mph winds and rain. I've used the 'wrong' tarp with the 'wrong' hammock and still been OK. The trick is in your tarp skills. I spend as much time setting up tarps as I do setting-up hammocks. Just like hanging, there is a curve to tarping and a properly set tarp can go miles towards keeping you comfortable in foul weather.

Add to that a nylon shell on your UQ and you're pretty much good to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12