ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Indoor Ceiling Joist Hanging: Need Tips Plz

I have some exposed wooden ceiling joists in my basement and want to hang from them. They’re by the main iron beam support on the ceiling, and I’m not concerned about taking the load—the ceiling and joists will take it.

I would appreciate your advice about how to install a simple suspension system. I’m thinking just strong, heavy duty steel hook eyes from Lowe's. I have HHs and ENOs. I know that it’s likely not as straightforward as putting two hook eyes 14 feet apart. Does anyone who has done this have advice about spacing, hardware, etc.…and do you leave amsteel ropes or something hanging down from each eye so that you can carabiner onto the rope at chest level? That sort of thing. If there’s already a past thread about it, please link it for me. I couldn’t find any.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-09-2010 at 05:24.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Postscript: I just saw Pedro's thread from 2009:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10084

Wow, 22 feet of spacing. That's a long spread! And it appears that Pedro has to reach up 8.5 feet to hook in each time, or leave a very long strap from the ceiling with that degree of spacing. I guess I was thinking a shorter spacing, and straps stay in place hanging almost straight down vertically from ceiling.

Pedro or others thoughts?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If I had exposed joists to work with, I would at least try this: drill .25" holes high on the joists, run 1/8" Amsteel through them, and form spliced loops that are easily reached. Then just clip in, and hang. Easy enough to experiment with spacing, too...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    If I had exposed joists to work with, I would at least try this: drill .25" holes high on the joists, run 1/8" Amsteel through them, and form spliced loops that are easily reached. Then just clip in, and hang. Easy enough to experiment with spacing, too...
    My setup in the basement is very similar to this (except using rope instead of amsteel, as it was what I had at the time. Also I just tied the rope together to form a loop, instead of splicing). The loops are easy to use with many different types of suspension too (straps, whoopie slings, biners, whatever).

I can recommend this method highly.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images

hooks

i saw these in home depot. snapped pic for when i do an inside hang. the one on the left is 1600# could recess in sheetrock with spaces behind corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    All of our indoor hammocks are hung from ceiling joists; some exposed, some not. I just use eye-bolts from Lowes. I drill a hole dead-center, then thread the eye-bolt. On higher ceilings, I drill the holes much farther apart and use a couple of lengths of chain (I had it laying around doing nothing) hanging down to attach my suspensions. The Amsteel loop is a good idea for exposed beams!

We sleep and stuff in them every night and have yet to have a problem. However, we live in a house built in the late 1940s, so the grain on the lumber used is more dense than modern wood. Newer construction materials may not handle the loads as well.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    these hooks a amazing. if you know a roofer he may have ones he has removed from job. (OSHA rules don't allow some to be reused)
    http://www.westernsafety.com/amranchr.html
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I have some exposed wooden ceiling joists in my basement and want to hang from them. They’re by the main iron beam support on the ceiling, and I’m not concerned about taking the load—the ceiling and joists will take it.

Thanks in advance.
    I must be totally following in your footsteps. Since the Fiance hasn't given me approval on a post in the back yard (yet), I'm planning on trying a basement hang (it's much cooler down there anyways). But it's a drywall ceiling and 70's vintage (Cheap) build.

That Pedro thread gives me some great ideas!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have exposed joists in a section of my basement and all I did was drill 3/4 inch holes about 5 inches from the bottom of the joist. I then put some old webbing I had and used a triglide buckle to secure the webbing leaving one long end hanging down about 3 feet. To hang I use hanging webbing on the cinch buckles of my hammocks. I drilled holes on the same joists near the ends where they are being supported. I thought it made sense to have the force exerted along the same joist vs hanging perpedicular from two separate joists.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    To all you basement hangers, check radon levels. Our basement has it, I installed vents to minimize it. A simple test kit is available at any hardware store. Radon is a real problem in our area.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast