Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New in SC

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post

If it hadn't been for that big evil storm cell rolling through here, I would have been there Friday night! That does NOT sound like a good time. Time to hit google and figure out where Honey Hill is.

Alternately, there's a great spot to stealth camp a mile or so from that campground.

Boris
    There's plenty of great spots to stealth camp, but when it's cool enough for me to camp, it's also hunting season. Gotta be really, really stealthy and know your surroundings.

Personally, there's a few places I'd like to try near Awendaw.

This is Honey Hill Recreation Area --> http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.17447+-79.56242
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Quote Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
    Personally, there's a few places I'd like to try near Awendaw.
    Awendaw is practically my backyard. As soon as it cools off, let's go. Caleb is the new guy so he brings the beverages, right?

Boris

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    that sounds fair to me.

are you familiar with buck hall recreation area? the southern terminus of the palmetto trail starts there. I've wanted to hike in for an overnight there for a while, but I've never had any volunteers to go with.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    extra layers
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm good for beverages. I think I talked the wife in to setting aside $$ for a warbonnet. Do you think its feasible to make my own tarp or should I suck it up and buy one? If so what do ya'll recommend? I would love to do as many day or weekend trips as possible. I coach football so i would be able to head out late Friday and stay till Sunday. Let me know!!

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebMoses View Post
    I'm good for beverages. I think I talked the wife in to setting aside $$ for a warbonnet. Do you think its feasible to make my own tarp or should I suck it up and buy one? If so what do ya'll recommend? I would love to do as many day or weekend trips as possible. I coach football so i would be able to head out late Friday and stay till Sunday. Let me know!!
    How are you at sewing? I can't sew a lick so I got a MacCat delux and I am quite pleased with it!
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    extra layers
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I took a sewing class in high school...made an apron, boxers, pillow, and pin cushion. Part of me wants to just buy it, then try to make another from the design. Is that cheating?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebMoses View Post
    Do you think its feasible to make my own tarp or should I suck it up and buy one?
    You can definitely make your own, but it's not really going to save you any money unless you're a gram weenie. You can get a perfectly good light weight tarp in the range of $25 to $35.

Chinook 9.5' x 9.5'
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Chinook 12'x14' monster

If you want to go even less expensive, you can go to Lowes or Ace Hardware and pick up a tarp for under $10. The more expensive tarps are no better at keeping you dry, they're just lighter. If you're car camping, then who cares? If you're going to hike, the weight may or may not matter to you.

Boris

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    But if you're into making your own gear, go for it. I've yet to make a tarp (although I've helped and was present while someone made one) but I think it would be pretty rewarding to be under something YOU made out there in the piney woods.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    extra layers
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I think I like the idea of making my own gear. My main use for the hammock and tarp will be 3-4 day backpacking trips, usually Sept.- Oct. in the Smoky Mountains. Weight is always an issue, as is warmth. Will most of warmth come from under/ over quilts or does the tarp help in that area? Any recommendations for the area/ season? I eventually see myself owning/making multiple setups for different environments. For now, what do I need to be comfortable?

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY or AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie
    NC guy here. Love Charleston and surrounding areas... just got back from Edisto Island. Slept out one night in hammock... was gosh awful hot, but fun.

JW

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast