Thread: Hammock size

Hammock size

One question i haven't been able to answer is about hammock size. Can a hammock be too big? Are there advantages to say having an HH Explorer Deluxe as opposed to an Expedition even though one is 5' 9" and not 6' 1". I can understand that if someone is tall they would feel cramped in a smaller hammock but how about the other way round. And how about width? I'm asking because there are enough different styles of hammocks even in the HH line that it would be impractical to become familiar with them all. Are there some general principles that we need to keep in mind? Personally I would like to buy one of each (warbonnets, clark, et. al.) and give each a try but that would be expensive. I've just thought of an example that would frame one aspic: Let's say a person weighed 265 but even though he wasn't 6' he bought a HH Explorer Deluxe because of the added weight handling specs. Then the buyer lost 100 lbs would the Deluxe still be ok? Besides the length of a hammock how would sag affect fit. Even though two people were the same height and fit perfectly lengthwise in a hammock would their weight dramatically affect their hammock experience? And are some manufacturers models more forgiving overall and more versatile?
    Last edited by jtbradyl; 08-09-2010 at 12:48.

I have a gathered end hammock that I built using 12' of fabric (10' is "normal"). After hemming the ends, it's about 11'6" long and I love it. The only small down side is that it won't fit inside a standard bug net. If I want to use it for summer hanging I have to either make a bug net for it or use one of the OFF bug repellant devices.

I have a similar problem with my Hennessy Safari. It's longer than all of the other Hennessy hammock, so the aftermarket stuff doesn't fit it the same. The Hennessy Super Shelter won't fit it at all. Hopefully, my insultex underquilt will be here soon from Mac and I'll see how that fits. I'm not too worried about that one.

As long as you're not talking about the Safari or something really oversized, I don't think "too big" will ever be an issue for your sleeping comfort. All of the little kids I've ever seen in a hammock looked pretty happy about it. I can think of several things you could do wrong when hanging a hammock that people might blame on the length, but if you hang it wrong because it's a long hammock, then it's just your fault for hanging it wrong.

Boris

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I think big=comfort. The downside is having to carry more weight and bulk than necessary when backpacking. Not only is the hammock bigger but so is the tarp.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts