DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing

is it cold or is it just different?

Took my son camping again last night and the temps got down to a new low for us while camping. Not really cold yet, but it was the first night at below 50°F.

I did stay warm, and I only used a 1/8" CCF pad between the bottom layers of my DD Frontline and a 30°F rated synthetic fill semi-mummy sleeping bag.
    I did notice the part of my body against the bottom of the hammock was not "warm" as it would be sleeping in bed, but it didn't seem to be cold on the other hand.
    Got me thinking that perhaps it isn't so much being cold in the hammock, as being "different" to what we get accustomed to when sleeping in a bed. (if that makes any sense)

I did mention to my son that we would probably not get much more camping in this year because I just can't afford UQs for both our hammocks right now, and I'm not really willing to go back to being a ground dweller. He agreed!
    wabi

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    I did mention to my son that we would probably not get much more camping in this year because I just can't afford UQs for both our hammocks right now, and I'm not really willing to go back to being a ground dweller. He agreed!

Check out the thread on cattail UQs (Can't quite quit the CATQUILT) - winter camping is the absolute best IMO - shame to miss out for only ~$20.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Wabi, are you backpacking? If not, and weight/bulk aren't issues, you can cobble together UQs out of just about anything...old sleeping bags, comforters, blankets, pancho liners...it's only limited by your imagination.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    Took my son camping again last night and the temps got down to a new low for us while camping. Not really cold yet, but it was the first night at below 50°F.

I did stay warm, and I only used a 1/8" CCF pad between the bottom layers of my DD Frontline and a 30°F rated synthetic fill semi-mummy sleeping bag.
    I did notice the part of my body against the bottom of the hammock was not "warm" as it would be sleeping in bed, but it didn't seem to be cold on the other hand.
    Got me thinking that perhaps it isn't so much being cold in the hammock, as being "different" to what we get accustomed to when sleeping in a bed. (if that makes any sense)

Well, it kind of depends. If you are woefully short on insulation, you are going to know it pretty quick. Your back will be uncomfortably cold, and most won't last long. Simple test: lay in your hammock on a 30 or 40* windy day, with just a cotton shirt, and see how long you last. Most will last just a few minutes, unless they were just trying to see how long they can go before giving up.

But in very "gray area" situations, all you may be aware of is that your back is not actually warm, or as warm as your top. You might be able to sleep the night, but just have no sense of cold back, but also not aware of a warm sensation.

I'm pretty convinced that your kidneys will tell you if tour back is warm enough or not, in close call/not sure conditions. If your back only feels "NOT quite WARM", EDIT: BUT you find yourself having to pee a lot during the night, way more than usual, then your back may not be quite warm enough. Even if you don't actually feel uncomfortably cold on your back. Having to get up and pee when hammock camping, and more than usual number of times, is a sign, IMO. A sign that your kidney area is not warm enough.

Also, usually when my UQs or pads are plenty adequate, then I am well aware of a warmth against my back.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-07-2010 at 11:17.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Grizz once said something along the lines of; pads keep you from being cold, while UQs keep you warm. Probably the best description I've ever heard of the differences between pads and quilts. A good UQ will warm-up just as quick as that mattress back at home.
    Trust nobody!

Last winter I slept in -10C weather with just pad, -7 sleeping bag, booties, and fleece. I had a blue 28" CCF inside and a poncho strapped to the bottom of my hammock. With my boot liners under my hips and knees I was plenty warm.

As long as you have something underneath your hammock to break the wind, my experience is that with the same gear it's just as warm in a hammock as it is on the ground. Of course, YMMV.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    1/8" pad is pretty thin, IMO.
    As temps drop, you'll need to carry more insul. Carry an additional 1/8" pad and stack them, or buy a 1/2" pad.
    For $10, you can buy a kids size sleeping bag from walmart, cut it to fit your needs, and strap it to the bottom of your hammock.
    Additional clothing for bedtime is a must. A good baselayer of smartwool, fleece, polypro longjohns, etc., will give you a warm layer next to your skin. Throw on a good stocking cap and or balaclava style facemask.
    A waterbottle filled with hot water WILL become your best friend on a cold night, try it! You can slide the bottle around to cold spots, provide instant warmth. I slide a spare sock on my waterbottle, to insulate. Its still warm in the morning.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Even if you don't DIY, I'd hate to miss out on a season's camping just for a $12 pad from Walmart. Some people choose to use CCF year-round...it works. You don't need anything more than that.

You can even save some weight and bulk by cutting it into a wing pad, then save up for an UQ for next season.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I might try rigging an old sleeping bag or quilt as an UQ and give it a try.
    I do have a 1/2" CCF pad, but was planning on using it in my son's hammock which has a canvas bottom and is much warmer, and he sleeps much warmer than me.
    I may even break down and order a DD UQ if business picks up as it usually does this time of year (I'm a plumber).
    wabi

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Love that quote!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Grizz once said something along the lines of; pads keep you from being cold, while UQs keep you warm.
    Yep. Having a cold back makes your sleep "not quite right" and most assuredly contributes to the increased number of shrubbery-watering nocturnal excursions.

Jim
    Patiently waiting for my Crows Nest!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast