Tarp
    MLD Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    EE RevTQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

Noobie from Louisiana

Although I have been backpacking for over thirty years, I have only dabbled with hammock camping for the last three years or so. Frankly, my experience with hammock camping has been mixed but I want to try again. The four nights I have used my hammock, each night I have gotten a serious headache and gotten no sleep at all, something I have never experienced on the ground. But a lot of places in the south where I like to hike, the only established campsites are very well worn because the flat spots are few (mostly in the Ouachita and Ozark Mountains). I get tired of camping in such sites and want to be able to set up camp almost wherever I feel like.

I have decided to change hammocks and have ordered a Warbonnet Blackbird. I hope this helps my sleeping issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry
    Ruston, Louisiana

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF!

As far as the headaches are concerned, are you sure you had the hammock fairly level? I've hung occasionally with my feet too high, and that has given me headaches. The accepted norm is to hang with your foot-end slightly higher than your head-end... but maybe you're a person who sleeps better with your head-end slightly higher?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Taedawood. I have a blackbird and like it very much. For the most part its the most comfortable thing i have to lay in. There is a sweet spot in it and took me a couple of weeks to find it and it might be different for other folks. I like that i can lay on my side also. A good piece of gear. You'll be wanting a good tarp next. Let us know how things go with the WBBB.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Gerry, Welcome to the forums. As already mentioned it sounds as your headaches may be traced to pitching your hammock with your head lower than your feet. The WBBB is the cadilac of hammocks. Brandons website has a good video on how to pitch it correctly. Also Shug's videos may be helpful to you.
    Terry

Hammock
    DW 1.6 SL Chameleon
    Tarp
    MLD Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    EE RevTQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the welcome. I don't know if I had the foot end too high or not since it's been over a year since I last used my hammock. Right now it is too darn hot to try it again so I will wait until my BB comes in and the weather cools off some.

It makes me long for having a cool basement like the house I grew up in back east. My wife already knows I'm crazy, especially about hiking, so she would not be surprised if we had a basement to see me sleep in a tarp hung from the ceiling joists!!

• + New Posts