HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Kid Waiting for Christmas Syndrome

Just received notification that my Clark NX-250 is due for delivery this Friday. And to make matters even better, it looks like the project at work I have been tied up with is winding down and I will have a full weekend to play.

But I suffer from another sickness: I already have plans to change the suspension to webbing. Already have it sewn up and ready to use. My Ex often said to me: "Why do you have to change everything you buy?"

"Because I CAN!"

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    "Because I CAN!"
    I love this quote and must admit I suffer from the same sickness, but not only in my hammocking life either. I am a tinkerer by nature. I hate things that I can not change to fit my needs. I am also a programmer by trade and if I can't get my hands on the source code of a program I am using and bend it to my will I can't bear to use it.

I love the current state of hammocks because it is so beneficial to people like us, to cut, customize and copy to our hearts desire.

Now when Hennesy starts putting in preventative measures and making you register your hammocks I will start to feel weary of hammocks.

(I already feel this way about some of the patents held on hammock features)
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    J- my Clark ultralight is due to arrive Friday as well. I've already got 50' of Amsteel Blue 1/8", 2 15' polypro web slings from Strapworks on the way, and SMC rings to use as buckles! I'll be spending a lot of time on Friday, using the stock suspension, finding the right hang and then taking some rough measurements for an integral ridgeline. But before I do the mods, and after I'm an usher in a wedding on Saturday, the backpack will be in the trunk, I'll shake off those monkey clothes, don my favorite tattered shorts, and hit the N. Georgia mountains for an overnight hang! Have fun with your Clark!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Outdoor nut:

And you with yours!

Jim

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Kasuko:

I find hangers to be an extremely "clever" bunch of folks, always tinkering with their kits, neer willing to leave well enough alone.

My other hobby/love is canoeing (and some touring kayaking) and in the friends I have in that world there are also many tinkerers. Chethro (who occasionally posts here) is a fellow tinkerer, having modified several hulls for comfort and convenience. Another boating friend and I exchange ideas on a regular basis. He has PA Dutch blood in him, and describes the act of bustling around in his shop, making doo-dads & modifications as "futzing". I like that description.

Jim
    Futzer and proud of it

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Unhappy Sigh...........

UPS re-scheduled for Monday delivery. How will I ever make it through the weekend?

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    Sorry about that- mine's b/w Atlanta and Athens- should be on my doorstep tomorrow morning and I'll have some time to futz with it! Hope you get it soon.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Ho Ho Ho!!!!!!

Just got back to my office from the remote location where I have been every day this week, and leaning against my door was a box from Clark. Since UPS said my hammock delivery had been re-scheduled to Monday, I wonder what might be inside?

Clark Bars? Mmmmmmmmm. Clark Shoes? Ehhhhhhh.

Maybe I should open the box and check inside. I will report back later.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    My ultralight arrived, and I fiddled with it in the 102 deg. F heat index weather. Got it all set up after an hour or two, and lots of sweat. Just in time for a 2 hour sho nuf thunderstorm that dropped 2 inches of rain. All was fine until the slap straps I was using (across a span of at least 20 feet) sagged and left my butt bouncing in a small impromptu stream! Then a clap of thunder that was too close for comfort had me running back to the house! The fly shed water like a duck, though the center seam dripped just a little bit since it has yet to be sealed. I'll be replacing the stock ropes tomorrow with my 15' polypro slings (thanks, Strapworks), amsteel blue loop, descending ring buckles, and a ridgeline. I'm also divorcing the tarp from the hammock from now on as that was the biggest pain to get taut.
    As for the hammock itself, it is a bit smaller than I expected but roomy enough for my 5'9", 155 pound self. I tied bungees (borrowed from my HH Explorer) to the stake out loops on the head end to spread the netting out a bit. With my 3/4 length Thermarest neoair, and my self inflating dogbone neck pillow, I was able to get a nice lay. Still need to dial in the sag before rigging the ridgeline, and find more suitable trees to work with (mine are too far apart). I pick up my SMC rings tomorrow, got the straps and the amsteel, so tomorrow will be a fun day of tinkering and tuning.
    Let me know how yours is working out.

Kerry

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post

Just got back to my office from the remote location where I have been every day this week, and leaning against my door was a box from Clark. Since UPS said my hammock delivery had been re-scheduled to Monday, I wonder what might be inside?

Clark Bars? Mmmmmmmmm. Clark Shoes? Ehhhhhhh.

Maybe I should open the box and check inside. I will report back later.

Jim
    That's funny! Being a fellow 250 owner myself....I am feeling your joy. I just completed a 60 miler with my daughter on the Loyalsock Trail in PA with mine. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast