Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about hammock tents...

Hey guys and girls of the camping,hiking, kayaking, and all around outdoors people. Been watching the forums from afar and thought i would join. So, here i be. Now to the questions. Best friend just bought an ENO hammock tent. My wife and i have been looking at HH. Another one mentioned Jungle hammocks. ANy suggestions on these or any other brands??

Images
    I first bought a Clark Jungle NA - and I am very pleased with it - although I wish it were a bit longer. They are expensive ($300) but well designed. I then bought a Clayton Jungle Hammock (giving the Clark to my son) - it is a lot bigger and a lot less expensive ($130). There are lots of people on here who think the Claytor is better than the Clark. If I were you, I'd start with the less expensive Claytor. If you like it you save a lot of money. If you don't, then Claytor will give you a refund (sans the shipping costs).

Note, however, that Clark has a toll free number that is answered weekdays during normal business hours. All communication with Claytor is by email and can take a few days to get a reply. I had some minor defects in my first Claytor but he promptly sent me another one. My son and I will put the Clark and Claytor to a field test this weekend in the Adirondacks.
    Last edited by nogods; 10-14-2007 at 21:07.

Thanks for the reply...We are just looking at getting into it, Well honmestly we were looking at buying 2 HH this weekend and going kayak/hammocking but clearly this will take some more research... I thought the tent hammock was pretty novel idea but apparently there are alot of options out there

Images
    The big difference between HH's and the other hammocks I am familiar with are that HH's are entered from below and have a non-detachable bug net. I wanted a top loading hammock so HH's were out of the question.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have a Hennessy BUL, Speer, homemade, and a Treklight double hammock.
    They are all pretty comfortable if I sleep on my back. My problem has been I'm more of a side and stomach sleeper and find that when I try to sleep on my side, I usually get into a fetal curl which limits my comfort. Still way more comfy than a tent. I recently reserved a JRB Bear Mtn. bridge hammock that I think will help me sleep better. A good way for you to check out some differnt hammock models is to attend a group campout. I'm sure you have noticed the one close to you later this month.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2019

www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 10-14-2007 at 21:22.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Check out the home made gear forums and for a little bit of money you can make a hammock. Try it, and after hanging in one for a night or two a lot more of this will make sense. Better to get that experience for $10-$20.

Barring that, I think that the Speer or TrekLight/Eno-type's are easier to morph into whatever you want. I suggest that you get a double sized one if you get the TrekLight or Eno. The Speer hammocks come with the velcro already on them so you can add a bug net (included) and underquilt.

I started with a HH Scout, then bought an inexpensive jungle hammock on EBay (from Viet Nam). Then I bought a TrekLight double. I'm still planning on making my own soon since there are features that each kind have that I like but no one brand has everything I want. I want the double bottom that the Claytor has, the feel and size of my TrekLight double, the bug net that the Speer has, and I will use the ring buckles for the suspension. Like I said, it may be easier to just start out making your own . I do seriously recommend a nice large tarp for whatever hammock you get. It makes all the difference between the hammock and a tent to have room to move around under the tarp.

Edited to add:

Yeah, come to the hang-out the last weekend of this month. I'll be there, as will several others with various setups. There are several of us hangers here in Nashville. Welcome to the group! I'll have all three of my hammocks there, neo will have his claytor along with the same type jungle hammock I have.
    Last edited by Shadowmoss; 10-14-2007 at 21:22. Reason: Add invite to the hang-out
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Guys thanks for the info...albeit alot in a little time. "ppreciate the invites, i was not aware of the events going on around us...Can I ask where its located?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    See neo's postings on the Mid-Tenn Hang-Out. It's at Meriweather Lewis on the Natchez Trace. Campground is free, bring food. I have a couple of hammocks that someone around 5'5" or so would find comfortable, no guarantees for anyone taller. I only have my one tarp, though. And only one underquilt, which I will be using.

ok so 5'5" would be fine for my wife which is causing the problem...as i am 6'3" as far as outdoor gear is concerned we're pretty much good...aside from the whole hammock thingy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I will be happy to loan her either my HH Scout or my no-name jungle hammock at the hang-out. She would need a tarp and sleeping pad. I really liked the jungle hammock, but it's downside is that there is no place to put anything inside the hammock like my glasses, things from my pocket, etc. Sharp things are bad juju in a hammock, so just letting them roll around isn't a good idea. The HH Scout has a ridgeline pocket. They are very different hammocks and a good way to see if you like bottom loading vs. top loading, side tie outs vs. a narrow, flatter hang, etc. She could sleep in one the first night and the other the next, since I can change suspension in under 5 minutes.

You are going to need one of the longer hammocks, I think. The HH Safari, or definitely a double if you go the Eno/Treklight (two manufacturers that have similar hamocks), or the longer Speer. The taller folks here will have to chime in on this one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast