Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Whoopie "things"

Well, isn't this an interesting bunch. I go away for a short time and come back to learn something really cool. I ordered some Amsteel blue from Redden Marine and THEY know you folks! I learned here about the straps and descending ring set up and have been using that. Got my son turned on to that system as well. Now, I will have something else to share with him!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

M

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I wish I was paying more attention when the discussion of whoopies came around. I cut my suspension in thirds after switching to whoopies. It's a great innovation.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, it's late here and I've read about all I can read for this day. Tons of info on these Whoopie Slings. I seen so many vids on these things that I'm seeing Whoopies everywhere!

I don't even know how to word this question, but.......

We use our Travel Hammock's for "veggin' out" while camping (state law here in Mi....) We camp in tents, either packed in or hauled in by my truck, but the hammocks are the first things outta the truck or pack either way.

Now, how do I figure out how much Amsteel is needed to make Whoopies long enough (min and max length) to use in place of my straps and rings that we've been using? My straps are about 15' long on each end of the hammock and most of the time the trees are medium girth, but about half of the strap isn't used (generally.) If the trees are real close, I dont' use the straps and use the 5' doubled Spectra cord that came with the Travel Hammock. I guess the furthest between trees was 20'. I don't need to hang anything from my set up, but I wouldn't mind one day learning how to put a trap (poncho) over a hammock (where does the ridge line connect, etc.?) Might need this info in case I wanna sleep away from the riff raff that seem to follow the wife and I camping and sometimes snores like a Harley running on 3 cylinders (don't get me wrong, we love our daughter, but WOW! What sounds she can make while sleeping!)

Anyhoo, shoot me some info when you get some time.

Thanks!

Mike
    That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    There are lots of tips on whoopies.. The original Whoopie thread will contain your answers.
    Generally speaking, a popular size is 6 foot finished length.
    To construct two whoopies at 6 foot, you'll 26-27 feet of new cord.
    You lose around a foot to foot and half of length with the buries/splices.

Always use a strap on the trees.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks.

Yes, I've read 100's of tips on Whoopies (all good) and was still a bit befuddled. Kinda chopped up into tiny bits hear and there.

However, Thanks! You gave me what I needed to know to get started! Can I say......"Whoopie! Here I come!"

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    O-tay.....I made a Whoopie Sling. Couple of questions:

I started with about 12' of Amsteel Blue. Made my IN marks about 4" each way from the center and my OUT marks 10" each way from the IN marks. The shortest the WS could be is 30". The longest it could be is 60". I have adjustable loops on each end.

Is this somewhat correct (kinda using the middle point as my IN's each way?) It fit in my back yard between the trees I use. I think it would work at the State Park we frequent. However, I think even at the shortest length, it would be too long for the trees at our cabin. IN THAT CIRCUMSTANCE, would I need to make a shorter one or can this one be "wrapped" somehow to make it shorter? Would starting with a shorter length of AMsteel be the route to go?

Thanks for adding another facet to our camping pleasures.

M

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    If I understand your question correctly then this may be the right answer. You do not neeed 2 adjustable splices on a woopie sling. One end should be a dead eye splice (non adjustable loop to larks head around the gathered end of your hammock) and an adjustable end (to attach to your tree strap via. biner, toggle, dutch clip). The standard woopie sling is 6ft finished. Where people start to get creative is usually in the length of the tree strap they use depending on the girth of the tree. But the distance of the trees between each other is usually a standard distance (I forget what is recomended) hope this helps
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Lazy River Road, thanks. Working on that issue right now.

M

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    looking to pull the trigger on some whoppie slings but...what size should i get? i remember seeing 7/64 somewhere...and is there a local place to get amsteel? does west marine carry it in stores? i guess i can take a trip and report back...

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went with the 1/8" Amsteel Blue and got some 7/64th ......because.....it goes nice with my eyes.......It is great stuff and my whoopies are working great. Good advice here. That's for sure. Good luck on your projects.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast