Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Need help

I have a problem: my suspension doesn't work. The rope I have streaches like nobody's business, and my carabiners are hard to adjust, being attatched to the ridgeline by clove hitches. What I need is a rope I can attach to an independent structural ridgeline that won't stretch, is thin, and can hold a knot. Any suggestions?

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I hope someone with knowledge answers you soon. I had problems with webbing stretching, and replaced it with whoopies from Paul at AHE. I made treehuggers out of some ripstop fabric, and attached it all together with a carabiner. Good luck!

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Amsteel or Spectra would be suitable for supports and ridgeline, but you can use smaller stuff if all you need is the ridgeline. Not a whole lot of savings by using thinner cord for the ridgeline, and you gotta be careful that the thin cord doesn't cut into the supports. I used BPL Air Core 2 (I think it was 2) for a ridgeline and found that while it was strong enough, it was too thin.

Check out the cord options from www.whoopieslings.com and AHE.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Climbing accessory cord, dyneema & amsteel are all static so won't stretch.

Try sailing outfitters for the dyneema and regular outdoor shops for the climbing cords.

KITE LINE works good too 500lb test..Q POWER. SPECTRA inside with woven outside. it might stretch an inch but once stretched, it never stretches again.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you tell the climbing shop that you're using it for a load-bearing application, they may steer you towards a stretchy nylon rope b/c that's what's used in climbing applications to absorb shock. You don't want that...so make sure they give you accessory cord that isn't stretchy. Even at climbing shops, often the workers won't know the ratings of accessory cord because they only recommend climbing ropes for load-bearing applications. They should be able to look it up, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    I hope someone with knowledge answers you soon. I had problems with webbing stretching, and replaced it with whoopies from Paul at AHE. I made treehuggers out of some ripstop fabric, and attached it all together with a carabiner. Good luck!
    treehuggers from ripstop? they would get tiny abrasions that would turn into larger tears over time, or just rip altogether. Thats a gamble IMO. You should stick with polypro or poly 1inch.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by AduroNox View Post
    I have a problem: my suspension doesn't work. The rope I have streaches like nobody's business, and my carabiners are hard to adjust, being attatched to the ridgeline by clove hitches. What I need is a rope I can attach to an independent structural ridgeline that won't stretch, is thin, and can hold a knot. Any suggestions?

-Aduro
    If you don't already know how, learn how to splice. Goto the whoppie sling thread in the suspension forum, buy some 7/64 amsteel or smaller dynemma line, get some splicing needles and have at it. making slings will get rid of knot tying and stretching all together. Get polypro or poly tree huggers, cut to 5-8 foot increments. make 2 whoppie slings, larkshead them to the hammock body(assuming its a gathered end), permanently attach the slings to the huggers by threading them through a sewn loop in the hugger before you finish the sling, or attach them with a nacrabiner(see loop shackle thread). Now that your slings are attached to your hugger, just wrap your hugger around the tree and clip it onto itself, do the same on both sides and your hung. You can create an adjustable ridgeline out of the amsteel/dynaglide as well, or go lighter with zingit or lash it (opie sells these ridgelines and slings premade, so does paul @ AHE). This is just a simple way i've found, no knots, setup is really fast and easy, pretty lightweight, especially if you use nano 7's or dutch biners as biners for the huggers.

• + New Posts