Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    .....Of course if you mess it up and ask us to fix it, it will be outside of the warranty.
    I feel a rant coming on...

<rant>

Wow. Your customers are suggesting a product improvement, and you warn them about voiding their warranties. That's quite arrogant.

Why not realize that your customers aren't happy with the non-stealthiness of your product and in-good-faith offer to support them in improving the situation?

It seems to me that there are many devoted JRB customers on this site, many of which are long-term repeat-business buyers. When that group is telling you that there is a definite need for more stealthy color options, perhaps that should be taken at face value.. This is certainly not the first time that the issue has been brought up. Even if the only response to the issue is to aid them in adding tie-outs so they can easily 'flip' the quilts, that's better than nothing.

As an avid member of this online community, and as a manufacturer, you certainly must realize the value of direct product improvement suggestions from your customer base. There is no doubt that this forum, and recommendations given on it, have generated customers for JRB. Why not take the opportunity to realize that those same customers are asking you for a product improvement, and do something about it besides telling them that they're voiding their warranties by making those improvements?

</rant>
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Electronic communication is notoriously poor for conveying attitudes or intentions, particularly terse ones, and Pan's responses are always terse. When I parsed the response I saw that warranty would be voided if one messed up the stitching job, not necessarily if one stitched on one without mishap. As a statement of limitations of liability, that is reasonable, even expected. It did not say they aren't listening to the customers. A few days ago when there some discussion about whether the 10'x11' tarp would be available in a muted brown, within a day the pre-ordering site changed to include color options. Maybe they intended that to begin with, maybe not, but they were listening to the discussion.

As a past and likely future customer of the JRB products I'll just say that I'd find attractive a quilt was designed to be reversible, with muted brown on one side and muted olive on the other. For now I'll flip black-side out when my Nest goes onto my DIY bridge, and wear sunglasses when inside to protect against the green that peeks out over the side of the suspension cut.

Grizz

Images
    I agree with Grizz that its often hard.

And as a small part time manufacturer I also recognize the need to be clear about who is responsible for what...

Since he said it was possible to do the changes, he also had to note that JRB wouldn't be responsible for fixing damage done by a home user who was intentionally altering the product after he'd said it was possible. Even though they'd still fix it, it wouldn't be under warrantee if the repairs were necessary.

That alls aid, I think Girzz's colour suggestion is the best one yet.

Images
    I think customers like options......
    I'd buy one if it was brown and OD like grizz suggested. I don't see any benefit to the bright green. I'm sure it's cheap but manufacturers get all sorts of discounts on volume. I think it would be had to find someone into hammock camping dislike the brown and OD colors....
    Heck look at the whole line of Hennessy products.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Angrysparrow, Schrochem, et al,

JRB listens to customers plenty.... Evidence the NS design 3 + years ago (SGT Rock's request).... and the range of 16 models and sizes of quilts.... Understand that for the volume of quilts stocked and sold, color options on the shelf are not viable.... Also please undestand that any any given time well over a hundred quilts are in some stage of production. Managing special requests is a major effort, thus we quit doing custom features or orders a couple of years ago. BTW, true custom work sites charge significantly higher prices and they should for all the time inefficiencies of custom work.

Virtually any one can add a ladder loop for a side tie out.... To do it professionally though requires the opening of the rolled hem with an unstitcher.... many unskilled users of unstichers can poke a lot of holes before they are finished.. .. my warrantee comment was one in jest... guess I should have put a winkie on it...

FWIW, we have make preferences for a more muted green known to our material source... we are working this point also.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    I'm usually more concerned with pack size than ounces. doesn't matter how light it is if i keep bumping into trees. I've got a 30* bag that is 4"x7" in its compression sack. zipped open it is the right length and width to attach diagonally and protect my entire sleeping area. If i can use that for the under quilt and a second one to sleep inside of then i can forgo the sleeping pad entirely and have two sleeping bags with a total size of 4x14 (smaller than one rolled up camp pad)

however i did consider that the sleeping bag is not water proof and most likely would lose heat to wind so it may be better to use an underfly to atleast protect it from wind and water. or perhaps just add a water/windproof skin to the bag in which case it could be used as a bivy sack in a pinch.

the greatest weight savings comes from dual purpose items that let you leave one other item at home.
    The G4 is a well designed pack and is narrower then my widest part .... er my shoulders... or at least they were the widest part a few years ago. So no porb with bumping into trees. What is the brand name and model of your bag? The sizing sounds enticing...
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    Virtually any one can add a ladder loop for a side tie out.... To do it professionally though requires the opening of the rolled hem with an unstitcher.... many unskilled users of unstichers can poke a lot of holes before they are finished.. .. my warrantee comment was one in jest... guess I should have put a winkie on it...

FWIW, we have make preferences for a more muted green known to our material source... we are working this point also.

Pan
    Woo HOO good colours.... maybe....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Pan
    Aww man! That's going to make me put off buying one until then.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

compressed potomac and nest

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Grizz- how small are you able to compress your Potomac? I've got a homemade version made per KAQ specs and from the pics I've seen of comparable sized down UQ, it looks like the down can compress to at least half the size of the Potomac. Does that sound about right?
    See attachment. Potomac runs 16" x 5" x 5" in its own sack ( compression sack will squeeze this down more), the Next about 8" x 4" x 4".

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    The G4 is a well designed pack and is narrower then my widest part .... er my shoulders... or at least they were the widest part a few years ago. So no porb with bumping into trees. What is the brand name and model of your bag? The sizing sounds enticing...
    its not a brand i'm familiar with and i haven't tested the validity of its rating yet. but it was so cheap and small i just had to buy it to see if it was any good. figured worst case it would make for a warm weather bag.

Alpine Design Adventurer +30° Sleeping Bag

found the same bag under a different name on ebay (click here)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast