Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have a few hammocks from both of these companies. The feel of them is very similar. IMO DD Hammocks has better customer service and I usually get my DD Hammocks in about a 1/3rd of the time it takes to get a Claytor once ordered. I actually like my DD Frontline Hammock, even though that style of hammock isn't really my thing. I don't use the tarp, but the few times I have set it up, it looked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    But i want to see pics of a : terrible, terrible Parrot Bay Deluxe
    Why would anybody want to do that to their gallery? Horrible, terrible, and miserable hammock it is. It's the only hammock I've ever bad-mouthed and I still stand by my statements all these months later. Even by "Big Lots" standards, that thing is junk IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I gotta put a plug in for the claytor. I am with cannibal though in that it takes a long time to get it. I have used for about 100+ nights a year, now in my third year with the stock diamond tarp. Been through 60 mph driving wind and rain, snow, the whole range of stuff with it and have been pleased. I did tweak the entire suspension and the tarp tie outs. Whoopie slings on the hammock and nines on the tarp. I have three of them and have been pleased overall. Soon I will be moving to the WBBB though. I am also going to make a knock off of the claytor this winter only wider. Similar to the switchback. Something to do when I am not xc skiing or ice fishing.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    I'm confused...The DDHammocks webpage says shipping is free. Is this not true?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    I'm confused...The DDHammocks webpage says shipping is free. Is this not true?
    Hadn't looked in a while, but it seems as though you are correct. I'll get in touch with Nick and see if we're reading it correctly.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    Something I hadn't thought about til now...what is the waterproof fabric like to sleep in? I have only ever slept in breathable hammocks, but I use a pad, so not sure if condensation would be a problem or not. I was choosing between the two because they offered the ground bivy option, but would I do better to just get the breathable Frontline or Expedition versions and take some Tyvek for a ground cloth in case I ever get the urge to sleep on rocks and roots again?

I would probably be purchasing a new suspension from Paul at AHE and he sells Tyvek by the foot. Any opinions?

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Condensation can be an issue. I find its not a problem if there is plenty of airflow. I use a down bag in mine, and after a few days, the down is still not damp, so I guess this backs up my thoughts on this. I got inside it once and spent the night using it as a survival bag, and I wasn't exactly dry, but I was warm enough.

I wont use my hammock directly on the ground without a groundsheet, unless its soft grass, because I dont want to puncture it. If I was doing lots of dry, warm weather camping( a rarity in the UK) then personally, I'd go for a breathable hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    Something I hadn't thought about til now...what is the waterproof fabric like to sleep in? I have only ever slept in breathable hammocks, but I use a pad, so not sure if condensation would be a problem or not. .......
    Is the Claytor JH really waterproof? When I had one, I tested it by pouring a cup of water on it. I don't think it took it very long at all to go right through. Any one else tested theirs?

Plus, I think Just Jeff made a sil-nylon hammock, and has had no problems. I have often slept in a HHSS with a WP space blanket over the pad, under the hammock, with no problems. I think a pad is about as likely to cause you problems as a WP hammock. Then again, I have never treied to sleep in one, unless you count the Claytor JH.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Don't know about the DD, but I have both a Claytor Jungle Hammock and a Hennessey Ultra Light Expedition Asym. The Jungle Hammock is a much better (and much cheaper) hammock than the Hennessey. Very sturdy and comfy, and the double bottom is perfect for adding a blue foam pad. The only thing I don't like about it (and it's the same problem with the Hennessey) is that the tarp is too small. In serious rain the hammock stays dry, but there's only a tiny spot on the ground below the hammock that's dry. I don't see the advantage of the diagonal tarps anyway, except for being smaller and lighter than a rectangular tarp. The coverage is very minimal. I need space under the tarp for gear, clothes, a place to hang out and cook if the weather is crappy, etc. I am going to post a new thread on tarps, because I need some advice on a good big tarp.

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the small tarps. I like to hang my pack from the suspension lines and the diamond or asym tarps don't give much coverage for that. I also like to have a spot for my dogs to stay covered. I just purchased the Chinook 12' x 9'6" tarp and look forward to having the extra coverage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12