UNO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 10 X 12
    Insulation
    MW3 & Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

(Very) Noobie Questions???

I have only been on one back packing trip.. I have the ENO Doublenest... I attached directly to the slap straps. I want to upgrade to Whoopie Slings and have questions:

With the hammock connected directly to the slap straps, it was very stable; NO sense that I would inadvertently dump myself out!! If using the Whoopie Slings extended 'way out, how does it effect the stability, side-to-side, of the hammock?

Would it be best to get the 10' length to provide more options for tree spacing? What would the min and max be for tree spacing?... I don't know the min and max adjustment length for the 10' Whoopie!

What is recommended for the line on which to hang the tarp?

For weather versatility, is a 10' X 10' tarp a good choice?

Thanks!!!

Arvis

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    10' whoopie slings is kind of long. You're better of to get 6' to 8' whoopies and 4 to 8' foot tree straps depending on the size of trees you typically encounter. The tree straps protect the trees and allow a point where the whoopie slings can attach and be adjusted either through a marlin spike hitch or a sewn in loop. Whoopie slings do not change the stability of the hammock vs webbing straps. In terms of distance between trees, you'll probably want to stay under about 15 feet. The further apart the trees get the higher up the tree you need to attach your suspension.

Hammock
    UNO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 10 X 12
    Insulation
    MW3 & Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks for the prompt response, Odds!!! Understand now about spacing affecting the height of attachment to the tree... "Noobie" had not even considered THAT!!!

Arvis

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I have 12.5' whoopies. Yes they are to long. I really cant reach up high enough in a tree to really use the length unless I am on someones shoulders. That has not happened yet. Honestly if you are a tall guy go with the 10'. That will get you hanging between trees up to 30' apart if you are tall enough to attach the tree straps. I wouldnt go any shorter than 6'. Tree strap length? I have no idea how big the trees you hang from are but I wouldnt go shorter than 6' I have 2 sets of straps. One is 6' and one is 7'. I think I will end up getting a set that is 8' eventually. Just gives you more options when looking for trees. Also you may want to get Dutch Clips. They are easy to use and impossible to loose if you stitch them to your tree straps. That is assuming you dont loose your tree straps. As for min and max spacing for the trees. Not sure how long your hammock is. The whoopies will have a minimum length each of about 2' each. Mine are home made and have a min of 18" ea. If your hammock is 9' + 4' for the whoopies that is 13'. Plus you will loose a few inches for the Marlin Spike (very easy to learn a tie.) You should be looking at a minimum of around 13.5'. Thats not to bad. Max depends on Whoopie slings and straps and depending on tree dia.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    UNO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 10 X 12
    Insulation
    MW3 & Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks, Otter!! I appreciate the information... I am thinking that 8' would be a good trade off on the Whoopie Slings...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Another option is to use webbing and cinch buckles. They allow you to use trees that are closer together and they are a little quicker and less fiddly to set up vs whoopies/straps. They are a tad bit more bulky but not prohibitively so.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Is this for backpacking or car camping? I love the ease of webbing and cinch buckles. Way faster but a little bulkier and a little heavier. That is what I would start with. Once you get good at setting it up and getting your angles dialed in and want to increase your challenge go to the whoopies and straps. My two pesos.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I got 8' whoopies and use 6' straps. I needed flexibility - the trees in the Sierra Nevada can be HUGE. If the straps don't work for one or both ends, I may have to mock up something and having extensible whoopies helps. Carrying a little extra cordage and being ready to use sticks as a buffer to keep the setup leaving no trace is a plus - it increases hanging possibilities if I can use a pine with a 10' diameter on one end.

Hammock
    UNO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 10 X 12
    Insulation
    MW3 & Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks, Bat / Pete... I do a lot of back packing with my Boy Scout Troop; since I am getting "long in tooth", weight is an important consideration... somewhere along the way, the trails got steeper and the hills got taller!!!

Arvis

Quote Originally Posted by Arvis View Post
    If using the Whoopie Slings extended 'way out, how does it effect the stability, side-to-side, of the hammock?
    It looks like nobody answered this part of your question. Whoopies are going to make no difference to stability. Don't worry, you're not going to suddenly be flipping yourself out of the hammock.

If you're thinking of ordering whoopies (or making them), you might want to do a structural ridgeline at the same time. It'll make it esier to get the same hang angle every time and it gives you a place to store stuff when you're in the hammock.

Boris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast