Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    yous talked about over stuffing. does this really help? i construction it works in reverse. like packing R-19 in a 2-4 wall.
    I missed that question earlier...

It does make a difference. You of course reach a point of diminishing returns, but it takes a bit more than you'd suspect. Having more densely packed down in a quilt helps it to be less susceptible to radiant loss (like when the wind blows against the outside shell, you can sometimes feel the quilt cool).

Brandon did some informal testing and I think he decided that you could go up to 20% overstuff before it didn't really add much benefit.

Of course most of the UQ designs are pretty good at reaching their given temp ratings, as is. Even adding just an ounce or two will boost it further.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The (seemingly now defunct) SnugFit was also a full-length winter UQ, like the other two in your original post. I feel it's warmth was greatly under-rated. But otherwise I agree...there are only a couple of full-length 0ºF-rated quilts to choose from.
    Tree to Trail Gear page lists 3 of them left.

I have an older model and LOVE it, but I'm not sure it would get you to 0 if you are a cold sleeper. I think the coldest I've used it at was 13 and I also had a thermarest, but I'm a VERY cold natured person.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have the Yeti and a Te-Wa and I'd recomment them both. The Te-Wa is a little wider and longer than the Yeti in case you thrash around a lot, but the Yeti suits my needs just fine...it's the one I use. My wife or son will use the Te-Wa on most trips.

Honestly, I haven't heard anyone NOT recommend any of the quilts offered by the makers who post on HF. I think you'll be happy with any of them.

FWIW, I only use the pad when it's cold out, or really windy...most 3-season nights I don't put anything under my feet and the partial UQ works fine.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

3/4 vs full length

Hi Kayak Karl,

Thanks for your interest in my quilts. Here is my opinion these days on 3/4 vs full length.

I think I agree with most of what the others have said here so I will just make a list of pros and cons..

3/4 quilt Pros: Cheaper, Lighter, pack smaller,
    3/4 quilt Cons: Shorter so requires lower leg insulation

I tend to agree with the posters that argue FOR the pad stuffed into the footbox of the top quilt. A decent short pad can be lightweight and, when stuffed into a footbox with sufficient insulation, can easily be as warm as a full length underquilt.

Here are a few reasons people tend to buy the full length underquilts...

- little to no experience with using underquilts tends to make some people leery of the 3/4 quilt. I can see how it might look a little intimidating having your legs just hanging out there to freeze. Even more so when attempting to trust one in those lower temperatures. Especially if they have had a rough night in a hammock with a pad that they kept slipping off of. A little experience goes a long way in this scenario.

- Many people like the simplicity of a full length quilt. One of attractive features of the full UQ is that once it is in place...you are pretty much done. Hop into your favorite hammock with your favorite top quilt and you are ready for nighty night.

- Many people are not as concerned with the extra ounces or cost that is associated with the full length quilt. They figure that it is constructed with high end, light weight materials, and that it still packs down relatively small.

As others have said, It is hard to go wrong with any of the vendors that offer a solution for cold weather hanging. They all make some great stuff.

I will say this. If you or your son would like to try a 3/4 quilt to see if it works for you and you decide quickly (before you through hike the AT with it... that is NOT for you...trade it in for the long quilt.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes. As long as you keep your feet on top of the pad, I personally find it to be just as warm.

If your feet slide off the pad, they will get cold. That's why I mentioned the trick of sliding the pad into the footbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Pad in footbox of TQ .... that has worked for me in some serious Minnesota cold........
    I use a Thermarest sit pad inflatable lightly inflated.
    Shug
    I'm with AS and Shug. My feet and legs have been warm in the cold Iowa weather using the pad in the foot box method. I also have the Thermarest sit pad. Lightweight, packs small and multiple uses. Good foam pad works just as well, though.
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post

...- Many people like the simplicity of a full length quilt. One of attractive features of the full UQ is that once it is in place...you are pretty much done. Hop into your favorite hammock with your favorite top quilt and you are ready for nighty night.

- Many people are not as concerned with the extra ounces or cost that is associated with the full length quilt. They figure that it is constructed with high end, light weight materials, and that it still packs down relatively small...

~Stormcrow
    This is very true. Especially with a bridge hammock which doesn't have a dedicated "head" end. If I climb in and find one end of the hammock lower than the other end I just sit up and lay back down with my head at the other end. No fussing with adjusting quilts. If it weren't so cold I could get out and adjust the suspension as desired but it's easier to just lay the other way. I also like full length for winter so I can wrap myself up in the quilt if I get cold around the fire or lack of a fire. I don't know if a 3/4 or 2/3 uq would wrap around me to keep me sufficiently warm.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Re: Stormcrow's post about people being leary of partial UQ...the ironic thing is that partials tend to fit better b/c they don't have to deal with the leg issue.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Re: Stormcrow's post about people being leary of partial UQ...the ironic thing is that partials tend to fit better b/c they don't have to deal with the leg issue.
    LOL...It is like you were reading my mind. I was THIS close to adding that exact thing.

The more dramatic the diagonal lay, the more challenging it is for underquilts to fit perfectly...long OR short. Another advantage of the short quilt is that they do not have to try to make it under a pair of legs sticking out in a footbox.

I suppose the reason I did not say anything was because I sell full length underquilts, I did not want people to get the idea that they can not get one to work on a HH or Blackbird. They DO work, and work well. It is just that they can sometimes take a little more time during the initial setup, depending on how much the individual lays on the diagonal, to get just right. Hope that is clear as mud..

I hope my comparisons between the long and short quilts have not come across as too biased, one way or the other. If I have left any pros or cons out, please mention them. I like know why people lean toward their choice of gear. I, personally, am quite fond of short quilts. Thorwren is a die hard long underquilt fan. Nothing wrong with that. HYOH of course!

SC

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    This is very true. Especially with a bridge hammock which doesn't have a dedicated "head" end. If I climb in and find one end of the hammock lower than the other end I just sit up and lay back down with my head at the other end. No fussing with adjusting quilts. If it weren't so cold I could get out and adjust the suspension as desired but it's easier to just lay the other way. I also like full length for winter so I can wrap myself up in the quilt if I get cold around the fire or lack of a fire. I don't know if a 3/4 or 2/3 uq would wrap around me to keep me sufficiently warm.
    That IS a great thing about the Bridge hammock. I love making quilts for them because I can get by with a making it a little narrower ( if they want) knowing that it will still fit great from head to foot.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    KK, Im gonna have to give a plug for a Winter Crows Nest 3/4. I as well got xtra fill (I think 2-3 oz dont remember) and boy does it loft up. It kept me warm last year at the winter hang (got down to 7) with no problem (except the first night due to user error dident tighten up the ends so had a bit of a cold draft). When I car camp in the winter ill bring an xtra wool blanket with me to put under my feet, found that more comfortable then a pad and less slipage. My feet were nice and toasty. This year I picked up a Gossmar Gear 1/4 pad that I will try out this winter for foot warmth when I go on my first winter back packing trip.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast