Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Night Sounds

Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    some owls make freaky noises. wild peacocks sound like crying/screaming women and children.
    And smell like napalm? You must have bad dreams...

lol

where i grew up was arond farms. one of the farms raised peacocks and one male and one female ran away together into the woods. well in highschool my buddies and I would go down to the stream to sip on some beer and one night we were tellin the usual local ghost stories when we heard some rustling in the woods, then a scream, then 7 more different cries/screams chimed in and they started to rustle through the woods towards us. everyone freaked out and ran.

found out later that the peacocks had been raising a family in the woods.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hex SilNyl
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ
    Suspension
    All in One
    Bad sounds -
    Possums (brushtail) coughing next to you can cause the heart rate to increase dramatically.
    Herons can sound otherworldly as they croak away at dusk.
    Amorous Wekas are a pain.

Good sounds -
    Nothing beats the sound of Tuis, Bellbirds and Grey Warblers at dawn, magical.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aucklandhoppy View Post
    Bad sounds -
    Possums (brushtail) coughing next to you can cause the heart rate to increase dramatically.
    Herons can sound otherworldly as they croak away at dusk.
    Amorous Wekas are a pain.

Good sounds -
    Nothing beats the sound of Tuis, Bellbirds and Grey Warblers at dawn, magical.
    Bad sounds- Drunk rednecks trying to shoot beer cans.

Was on the Mid-State Trail in PA and got woken up at 3am to this.

Good sounds- Any sounds heard from your hammock in the woods.

Just being out makes me happy.

Once, right after the earth’s crust cooled sufficiently to do so, I was camped with an Outward Bound group on the shore of the East Fork of the Gila River. Sometime during the wee hours of the morning, a predator of some sort nailed a large bird slightly uphill from us. Of course, the noise immediately brought everyone to full conscientiousness, but we didn’t know what it was. We figured it was the guides messing with us, so we all got and built a fire to cook breakfast. The guides were not amused.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Grouse drumming. That's mine anyway.
    Signature suspended

weekend before last i was hiking across the Smokies.
    about dark thirty, set up camp, lit a small fire, cooked dinner, and turned in for another long day ahead.

later that night i was awakened to the all too familiar night sound of big feet, crunching leaves, and the occasional snort.

with an entire campsite for him to explore, yogi just had to wander over next to my set up.
    i stepped out and began to explain to him the concept of 'personal space', but apparently he was in no mood for my night sounds, because he bolted.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Out here, I love listening to the coyotes and owls as the night goes on. I think it helps me sleep a lot better than when I'm indoors.

My last trip to my brother's place was a bit different tho.

He lives right up against a series of limestone cliffs. Normally, very cool to hear the water of the creek rushing past as you're sleeping.

This time of year tho, the water is low/gone. What you hear is the sound of rocks falling off the cliffs and smashing on the rock base of the cliffs.

In itself, not bad either really.

But...I'd setup really late, picked a spot about 11pm, got setup, crawled in, and all comfy. Got done talking with my wife on my cell phone, and let my eyes adjust to the dark...and looked up to see that I'd setup underneath a decent sized dead tree limb.

Exhausted, I made the poor choice of just sleeping where I was.

No...it didn't fall. (Note, I'm here typing this post...) But...that whole night I kept waking up hearing things crashing down (stones off the cliffs) and looking up at that darned tree limb hovering over me like the Sword of Damoclese.

NOT my best night in a hammock! LOL!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I have a family of 4 squirrels that LOVE to race across the ridgeline of my HH. They wait until I'm not in it (usually), but I watch them through the window of the house and laugh.
    I got some bold squirrels in my backyard too. When they get to roughhousing and chasing each other, they hardly know you're there. I was standing there watching them once, and suddenly a squirrel launched himself right at me, bouncing off my chest with his hind legs. Not to be outdone, the squirrel chasing him had to do the exact same move. It's like they were playing squirrel H-O-R-S-E or something.

Luckily for the squirrels, I have very slow reflexes and didn't have time to react. I might have smacked them squirrels into the next yard if I was quicker.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Luckily for the squirrels, I have very slow reflexes and didn't have time to react. I might have smacked them squirrels into the next yard if I was quicker.
    now that was funny

has anyone ever heard a bobcat? I had one prowling around my campsite. They make an awful noise. And waking up from a dead sleep after hearing that noise and shining my flashlight about and seeing a couple of beady little eyes less than 20 feet from me is a bit un-nerving, to say the least. Bobcat just kept his eyes on me and continued to walk by!!

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast