Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Night Sounds

I was in my hammock last night in an area that I'd regularly seen many types of animals. Lots of deer, including one very large buck seen many times, occasional moose, bear, quite a few coyotes, and a mountain lioness with kittens once. Around midnight I heard loud snorting and stamping of hooves about 15 feet away but couldn't see it because the MacCat tarp was set up very low. Just about got back to sleep when the screaming sound of a large cat woke me. The occasional coyote calls didn't seem to bother me, but they were in the distance.

This was the first time in quite awhile that I'd heard so many very close sounds, at least enough to wake me. The temperature never quite got down to the forecasted 32 to 35 so my Peapod and bag were way warm. Slept in a single cotton top and bottom, with the bag (FF Winter Wren) unzipped almost half way. With at least reasonable weather I'll be heading for the Adirondack high peaks for a long weekend.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Ok, snorting, stamping hooves and screaming cat sound... what kind of animal is that? With my luck I'd have to really go 'water the bushes' right about then...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I've been debating using ear plugs. On one hand it would block out noises and help me sleep better. On the other hand I want to know if a "Monster" is about to attack my hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I hear coyotes so much around my house (even just with the windows open) that I hardly notice anymore.

The snorting and stamping sounds like some sort of deer/moose... if it were combined with screaming cats I'd say it was a large grumpy moose telling a mountain lion to go hunt somewhere else. In Alaska dog sledders carry guns to protect themselves and their teams from moose. A pissed off moose is BAD news...

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    There are owls where I go hiking that sound like a woman screaming. They are also what some people mistake for the sounds of bigfoot. My buddy told me about them but hearing one when trying to sleep still makes me wake right up.

My friend also got woke up by a deer snorting at him, he had a skunk walk across him when he was cowboy camping one night.

Had a bear walk through our camp one night and we listened to it shake the tree our food bags were hung on for about 30 minutes. There was a bear attack this past weekend in PA. I saw it on the news Saturday, the bear was looking for food.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A couple of weeks ago I was out hiking and as I lay in my hammock during the small hours, I felt some 'back-pressure" build. Well, being alone in to woods I had no problems letting the horn blow; it was not stealthy...at all. A moment later I heard something smash thru some brush nearby my hammock. I think I probably scared a deer or something that was just chillin a little too close to me. I giggled myself back to sleep.

Kind of nice to turn the tables.

Images
    It wasn't the NOISE that scared the critter off....

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    There are owls where I go hiking that sound like a woman screaming. They are also what some people mistake for the sounds of bigfoot. My buddy told me about them but hearing one when trying to sleep still makes me wake right up.
    I took my 10 year old niece camping this summer on my grandmothers farm. My wife and my niece slept in a tent and I slept in my hammock right next to them. Throughout the evening we heard coyotes howling and I could tell they were getting closer. My niece kind got scared but told her that they wouldn't come near us.

About 2 in the morning I woke up when I heard an very loud sound that sounded like a women screaming or laughing, or sorta like a witches cackle. You could hear a single call and then more would join in for a very eerie chorus. I had never heard that sound before but I found a recording of the same call online and it was coyotes.

Needless to say it scared the s**t out of both my wife and my niece.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I've been debating using ear plugs. On one hand it would block out noises and help me sleep better. On the other hand I want to know if a "Monster" is about to attack my hammock.
    I regularly use them. Of course the strange breed of animal that I usually end up sleeping near are particularly noisy. The adult male scoutmaster. It's strange though, we never seem to run out of firewood...........
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    I use earplugs in the hammock precisely because if a monster is attacking me, I'd rather go out in ignorant bliss . . .

Then there was the "monster" in the hammock next to me that sounded like a freight train on a trip to RRG with a fellow forum member . . .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast