Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

COLD FEET- 3/4 UQ+footpad or full UQ (no footpad)?

My feet get cold very easily. I'm sure there are others that have the same problem, so my question is; Have any of you tried both the 3/4 UQ+footpad and full UQ (with no footpad) setups? If so, and all other conditions being equal (weather/same degree UQ and other gear as equal as possible), how would you compare the two setups for keeping the feet nice and cozy?

If you've found both are basically equal, which setup do you prefer and why?

(I had asked basically the same question on kayak karls thread at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20817 but I didn't want to hijack his thread, so therefore I began this thread. Below (and hopefully with their permission) I've included AS and Shugs responses from that thread)

Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

AS,

So you (in your opinion) believe the 2 different methods will keep the foot area one as warm as the other?

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes. As long as you keep your feet on top of the pad, I personally find it to be just as warm.

If your feet slide off the pad, they will get cold. That's why I mentioned the trick of sliding the pad into the footbox of your top quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Pad in footbox of TQ .... that has worked for me in some serious Minnesota cold........
    I use a Thermarest sit pad inflatable lightly inflated.
    Shug
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Both my feet have suffered from Frostbite. Doesn't take much at all for my feet to get cold.

Between those two setups, I don't notice much of a difference. A pad is totally doable under the feet for those that sweat too much to use one comfortably beneath their bodies. The full UQ is zero hassle, which can be nice. When I started using the partial length UQs, I used a pad. I have since realized that between my sleeping socks (heavy wool; low compression) and the footbox of my topquilt, I often don't require anything under my feet. When it's really cold out, I just put my pack under my legs and feet and it does the job just fine. I long ago got over carrying a pad for any real reason beyond the very small sit-pad I carry.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    My feet get cold very easily. I'm sure there are others that have the same problem, so my question is; Have any of you tried both the 3/4 UQ+footpad and full UQ (with no footpad) setups? If so, and all other conditions being equal (weather/same degree UQ and other gear as equal as possible), how would you compare the two setups for keeping the feet nice and cozy?

If you've found both are basically equal, which setup do you prefer and why?

(I had asked basically the same question on kayak karls thread at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20817 but I didn't want to hijack his thread, so therefore I began this thread. Below (and hopefully with their permission) I've included AS and Shugs responses from that thread)
    3/4 UQ ... less space in a full winter load. Have used two 1/2 OQs in tandem for serious cold when pulling a pulk.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Like I said in the quote above, as long as the pad used with the partial quilt stays under my feet I don't find a full length quilt any warmer.

I couldn't get by with Cannibal's 'pack under the legs' when it's really cold out. I do need more pad thickness than that, especially as the temps approach 0ºF. I consider myself an 'average' warmth sleeper.

The pad I carry most often is just an oversized CCF sit pad.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well this is still a noob subject to me I have a 3/4 UQ and plan on folding a full length foam pad maybe 1/4 " thick so light reason I am thinking full length is if for some unfortunate reason I would have to spend the night on the ground

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For a versatile, effective (and cheap) pad for your feet and legs, I have used THIS PAD from JRB. It's less than $10, 40 in x 26 in in size, and weighs 6.5 oz. It's made of EVA type foam so it's light and durable with decent insulation. Among other advantages, it's big enough to allow for "creative" trimming to suit your needs.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Images
    I'm sure that comparing a pad under the legs and feet vs a full length UQ requires knowing how thick the leg pad is and how thick the UQ. Then again, some of these torso UQ users seem to get by with some really thin leg pads.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-13-2010 at 20:25. Reason: typo

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    For a versatile, effective (and cheap) pad for your feet and legs, I have used THIS PAD from JRB. It's less than $10, 40 in x 26 in in size, and weighs 6.5 oz. It's made of EVA type foam so it's light and durable with decent insulation. Among other advantages, it's big enough to allow for "creative" trimming to suit your needs.
    These are great little pads. I have three and mix and match with underquilts depending on the weather. On my last camping trip, the low got down to about 59. My sons had down underquilts and I used only the pad. I slept snug as a bug.

Salty

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm sure that comparing a pad under the legs and feet vs a full length UQ requires knowing how thick the leg pad is and how thick the UQ. Then again, some of these torso UW users seem to get by with some really thin leg pads.
    ...AND...it is likely that the same users (in cold weather) may have supplemental footwear (e.g. down or primaloft booties or extra socks) worn inside their sleeping bag or top quilt. I've also been known to sleep in my insulated pants as well.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    I've owned both 3/4 and full length UQ's. I actually prefer the full length (I have a StormCrow Incubator now) because I don't always sleep in a conventional straight line. Sometimes I'm fetal, sometimes I even like to fall asleep with my legs indian-style. Using the footpad would drive me crazy when it (or I) shifted. Another thing I disliked with the partial UQ's was the feeling of the shock cord under my thighs/knees - If it's really cold, you'll need to cinch these up to retain heat.

It's a personal preference really... I don't mind the weight penalty (it's pretty minimal) for an UQ that is absolutely bomber IMO. The Incubator is a pretty amazing piece of work really.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast