Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JRB WeatherShield -- when do you need it?

I have one of these. I have never used it. The last time I took my Hennessey Hammock and my JRB quilt on the Long Trail in Vermont around this time of year (2 years ago) I didn't have one. Yet though it rained for 8 days straight, my quilt was fine -- due in large part to the MacCat deluxe tarp I used.

Now I'm going again. I'm debating whether or not to take it the shield. I have both the under shield and ...um... "over" shield.

Of those of you who have them, when do you use them? When do you feel you NEED them?

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    I have one of these. I have never used it. The last time I took my Hennessey Hammock and my JRB quilt on the Long Trail in Vermont around this time of year (2 years ago) I didn't have one. Yet though it rained for 8 days straight, my quilt was fine -- due in large part to the MacCat deluxe tarp I used.

Now I'm going again. I'm debating whether or not to take it the shield. I have both the under shield and ...um... "over" shield.

Of those of you who have them, when do you use them? When do you feel you NEED them?
    I also have the MacCat Deluxe and JRB Weathershield. I use the Weathershield when it gets colder and/or really windy. It'll add a few degrees when it gets colder.
    Peace,
    Joe

the one time I really could have used the under shield was up on Springer NYE - camping in a cloud and the wind was blowing the mist up under my tarp (a MacCat Titan) - basically everything got wet and I bailed the next day.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

simple question never,i tried and hated it,i got soaking wet from their over
    shield,the undershield was worthless extra wiegt and expense to.got rid of all jrb gear long ago neo

Well I might not be convinced about the shields but you can pry my JRB quilts from my warm, dead, hands.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Well I might not be convinced about the shields but you can pry my JRB quilts from my warm, dead, hands.
    my 4.00 pad took to the single digits,last new under quilt i saw was fishbones
    the down fell down to the center of underquilt no down for sides and shoulders neo

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    simple question never,i tried and hated it,i got soaking wet from their over
    shield,the undershield was worthless extra wiegt and expense to.got rid of all jrb gear long ago neo
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeHiker

i got soaking wet from condensation from both under and over sheild
    definately not very breathable like to tooted on their website. neo

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeHiker

i got soaking wet from condensation from both under and over sheild
    definately not very breathable like to tooted on their website. neo
    i dont think much of hennessey hammock either neo

i dont think much of hennessey hammock either neo
    Why not? I remember when you first had one you used to sing its praises over on WhiteBlaze. What happened to make you dislike them?

my 4.00 pad took to the single digits,last new under quilt i saw was fishbones
    the down fell down to the center of underquilt no down for sides and shoulders neo
    I sleep very cold and need a lot of warmth. Quilts really work for me. Love the JRB ones. Unfortunately, pads just don't cut it for me. Besides I have having anything underneath me inside the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast